My work toy

Nick U

brilliant stuff - is that a Puma..?

Not too good with rotary wing (40,000 parts flying in loose formation) I had an interview a while with GKN Westland, and it was nice to see the Apache and all that.

Ended up working for BAE, so now end up looking at mostly fixed wing stuff :)

Nice pics though matey :D

brilliant stuff - is that a Puma..?

Not too good with rotary wing (40,000 parts flying in loose formation) I had an interview a while with GKN Westland, and it was nice to see the Apache and all that.

Ended up working for BAE, so now end up looking at mostly fixed wing stuff :)

Nice pics though matey :D

It is indeed a Puma. Crazy to think I fly around in a 35 year old helicopter!!! :wacko:

Tell me about it, we fly close fomation on NVG's (Night vision goggles) at night 50 feet over the water. Not a lot of room for error... :scare:

Trying to make a move aver to SAR (Search and Rescue), seems like I spend far to mush time in warmer climates on this beast!!

What do you do for BAE, if you dont mind me asking?

Trying to make a move aver to SAR (Search and Rescue), seems like I spend far to mush time in warmer climates on this beast!!

Now that's a cool job :yahoo:

What do you do for BAE, if you dont mind me asking?

After a couple of years working around nuclear boats (easy enough, just make sure the water is on the outside :thumbs: ) I've moved over to the air side. Now trying to ensure Typhoon doesn't fall from the sky... :scare:

And some of my work toy!!

I fly people on holiday for a living. They are seldom grateful.

However, the coffee is hot, the women are beautiful and the sand is usually next to a 5* beach hotel!!

(I'm not in any of the pic I hasten to add. My bald patch has yet to appear.)

Any more toys for the boys?

Couldn't help notice one of those is a First Choice aircraft..? Don't suppose you work for them do you?

I do indeed!

Cool... B)

I flew to the Dom Rep with FC just before Christmas, have to say it was pretty good stuff. The flight back was a real pain, as we had to make several course changes and ran into some reasonable turbulence.

Weirdly, it has kind of put me off flying! :scare: Seriously, I can't even get on the company aircraft (a 146) now without having a slight brown-trousers episode. As therapy I went off to look at the new Airbus assemblies at work, which didn't help at all - i just reassured me as to how complicated these things are... :headhurt:

Any tips..? :surrender:

Dave.

ps. And quite how Nick can spend hours aloft in that Puma is beyond me ;)

ps. And quite how Nick can spend hours aloft in that Puma is beyond me ;)

I guess you just get used to it...!

Having said that, being airbourne for 7 hours, only landing for fuel ever 1h 40mins, all night on NVGs in Iraq, with crazy people shooting at you hurts!!! :scare:

Not looking forward to going back at the end of this month. :thumbdown:

There is off course the upside, which makes up for the bad things and more.... :teeth:

I guess you just get used to it...!

Having said that, being airbourne for 7 hours, only landing for fuel ever 1h 40mins, all night on NVGs in Iraq, with crazy people shooting at you hurts!!! :scare:

Well, if that doesn't keep you focussed, nothing will :scare:

You flyboys are nutters :D:scare:

Kuro, I know what you mean.

I have a "Boeing mentality":-

My aircraft is over-engineered and put together by Seattle's finest. It inspires supreme confidence. My colleagues and I are very highly trained, well motivated and determined not to end up a smoking hole in the ground.

Turbulence is a pain. Disconcerting at best, distressing at worst. I have heard of destruction tests on the 757 where the wings were almost made to touch each other without snapping, so stay seated, tighten your belt up and just ride it out, the aeroplane can take it. Easy for me to say I know, but trust me, the aircraft are built to withstand a hell of a lot.

When in your seat, KEEP STRAPPED IN ALL THE TIME, just it case we come across any unexpected bumps.

Pay attention to the cabin crew, they're not just there to look pretty and chuck biscuits. Note where your exits are and have a plan.

In short - Strap In, Chill Out and we'll get you there in one piece. B)B)

And remember, the most dangerous part of your journey is the drive to the airport!! :thumbs::thumbs:

determined not to end up a smoking hole in the ground.

Well, that's a plan B)

So difficult to relax though, we you start to think about the complexity of these things. It doesn't help being part of the aerospace industry. One one hand you see the amount of work that goes into a piece of kit, the endless testing and severe overengineering. But on the other hand you realise how much effort it takes to get the aircraft in the air, and the plethora of people involved with that process. (Of course in the military sector, there's usually a very good backup handle :teeth: )

Plus, watching 'seconds from disaster' on Sky doesn't help :surrender::scare::D

When we were flying to the Dom Rep a couple of passengers were noticing some goo oozing from the top flap track assemby area. I'm pretty sure essential bits are coloured, fuel, hydraulics etc so I guessed it was antifreeze left over from our spraying at Manchester. I was very impressed that the Captain came down (to syncronised passenger 'ooohs') to investigate and put people at ease.

I'm back on the company 146 next week, so that will be 45 mins of fun. Still, it's pretty much a go kart compared to the 757 :)

Anybody got any chill pills? :blush::D

Gravity eh? What a pain in the ass :scare:;)

hey nick u, where were you working in iraq?

my company car weighs 70 tons and has a 120mm gun on it -any takers? hee hee it's a challenger 2 tank. i have 3 in my train set out here in iraq. i'll take some photos and get them on here for you to gawp at. enough of flying machines :thumbdown: - you know it's all about the tanks! :D

big al 757,

tanks are a big target if you had a real conventional war. everyone is trying to get us from anti tank infantry to helis to other tanks and jets.

the reason is we are a very big, very angry target and the amount of damage caused in a few minutes, (like i did in Iraq the 1st time around - hee hee) can be devastating.

eddmac, i have to look at photos like that for work to practice recognising them so i'll leave the names of thos for others to figure out. needless to say the 2nd one is quite familiar.

big al 757,

tanks are a big target if you had a real conventional war. everyone is trying to get us from anti tank infantry to helis to other tanks and jets.

the reason is we are a very big, very angry target and the amount of damage caused in a few minutes, (like i did in Iraq the 1st time around - hee hee) can be devastating.

eddmac, i have to look at photos like that for work to practice recognising them so i'll leave the names of thos for others to figure out. needless to say the 2nd one is quite familiar.

:lol: - I'm glad you know that one - could be a quite awkward moment if you didnt :lol:

You got the third one then? I'm impressed B)