Best cooling mods.

Chris Wiltshire

Hello,

So now the cold nights are coming in ive noticed that the zed runs a lot better at night due to the cold dense air...

I haven't done any cooling mods yet but would like to see what you recommend,

After market radiators? Mishimoto, AMS? Do these make a difference?

Oil coolers? Are these mainly for track?

Vented bonnets??

:)

The car runs better because of cold air being burnt. Cold air is denser. So more air or oxygen in the cylinder means a bigger bang. All that other stuff you listed will make the engine cooler but none of that is really anything to do with the combustion.

I could be wrong. A lot of smart guys on here and they will probably tell you I am wrong.

Edited by Billy_Taj

The car runs better because of cold air being burnt. Cold air is denser. So more air or oxygen in the cylinder means a bigger bang. All that other stuff you listed will make the engine cooler but none of that is really anything to do with the combustion.

I could be wrong. A lot of smart guys on here and they will probably tell you I am wrong.

Correct :thumbs:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apart from the dense air wouldn't keeping the engine bay cooler help with performance? I thought vented bonnets would help in reducing the amount of hot air under the bonnet which in effect has more oxygen in the air due to it being cooler?

Few times I've lifted the bonnet after a drive and the heat from the bay is crazy hot.

Edited by Chris Wiltshire

if the engine isn't overheating then its at the correct operating temperature. adding bonnet vents may reduce the amount of cooling that the radiator will need to do and perhaps put a smidge less load through the water pump, but the engine will still run at the same temperature.

What you need to do is increase the amount of cold air getting into the engine, and to do that you need a well designed, well shielded cold air induction kit. as mentioned, cold air = denser air, more air + more fuel = bigger bang.

• 4 months later...

if the engine isn't overheating then its at the correct operating temperature. adding bonnet vents may reduce the amount of cooling that the radiator will need to do and perhaps put a smidge less load through the water pump, but the engine will still run at the same temperature.

What you need to do is increase the amount of cold air getting into the engine, and to do that you need a well designed, well shielded cold air induction kit. as mentioned, cold air = denser air, more air + more fuel = bigger bang.

Do it for looks, My car has a CF vented bonnet, and after a frisky drive it looks like a dragon with heated nostrils :)

• Like 1

Anything that gets air from outside the car is going to help, that's why the std air box is probably the best option unless you want to come up with a better air box and feed design yourself, if you notice the small difference in performance with colder air, then it may be worth you fitting a water injection system, however to get the best from it would probably need mapping for.

I was originally going to fit a WI system but decided I wouldn't really notice enough to make it worthwhile.