Fanbelt Squeel On Cold Start

bytespc

Well the mornings are getting fresher with fog and damp and the 350 has thrown a hissy fit or in this case a squeal , the belts are one year old and the correct make and tension so do I just have to put up with it as its only brief or should I be worried ?

deffo not a bearing as it stops almost immediately and a bearing would require temp, I forgot to mention I live right on the sea front so could just be the dreaded salt in the mist etc sitting on the belt .....live by the sea its so lovely...yeah right ..everything rots and the bloody gales we get .......probably guessed I'm fed up of living by the sea now.....12 years and counting ( renting ) cant get a mortgage ( health ) rents cheap ( mates rates )...sigh...I need a lottery win :(

i had the same problem with mine, i believe it is worse in the mornings, evenings or when there is a bit of moisture on the air. which makes sense as moisture on rubber will slip same as tyres on wet road. I changed the belts 2 weeks ago, put it all back together and it was still as bad. so i removed the undertray gave each adjuster a couple of turns and it has been fine since. my idea was to leave the undertray off for a few days and give each adjuster 1 turn a day until the squealing stopped. Obviously if youare getting nowhere and the belt is obviously to tight something else is wrong. In my opinion it is quite difficult to measure the play in the belt. I believe you are supposed to use a 10kg weight to test resistance and if you are only putting say 8kg of pressure on the belt when you are measuring it it will always be too loose.

Now i am certainly no expert and don’t claim to be, thats just what i did.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

i had the same problem with mine, i believe it is worse in the mornings, evenings or when there is a bit of moisture on the air. which makes sense as moisture on rubber will slip same as tyres on wet road. I changed the belts 2 weeks ago, put it all back together and it was still as bad. so i removed the undertray gave each adjuster a couple of turns and it has been fine since. my idea was to leave the undertray off for a few days and give each adjuster 1 turn a day until the squealing stopped. Obviously if youare getting nowhere and the belt is obviously to tight something else is wrong. In my opinion it is quite difficult to measure the play in the belt. I believe you are supposed to use a 10kg weight to test resistance and if you are only putting say 8kg of pressure on the belt when you are measuring it it will always be too loose.

Now i am certainly no expert and don’t claim to be, thats just what i did.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Now that Sir is a good concise answer with experience behind it, cars in for her mot in a couple of weeks will get them to give the adjusters a tweak when they do the pre mot check.

Thanks for the reply

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Get a squeak in the winter months when reversing out the drive. Just left it since and been fine.

That's mine exactly , by the time the cars straight and in first the noise stops.

• 3 weeks later...

During pre mot asked for it to be tightened and my power steering belt is on the stops of adjustment after only 11,000 miles and looking ragged

Edited by bytespc