Lambda sensor causing EML

mdunbar

Hi,

Firstly, please bear with me as I am a driver not a mechanic. I'd only get 1 spanner in a Haynes Manual :lol:

Okay, bought a 350Z recently and just had it fully serviced. everything is running great except the engine management light is always on. Mechanic was telling me it is a fault on a sensor on the exhaust. He has reset it for me but it comes back on almost as soon as the car is driven. He reckons the sensor may have been damaged when the exhaust was changed and has recommended replacing it. The exhaust is not stock - an Invidia exhaust with Jap speed HFC.

I've done a bit of searching on here and read about O2 sensor spacers sometimes resolving the issue. Should I look further into this before going ahead and getting my mechanic to replace the sensor? Where do I get them and are they easy to fit?

Thanks,

Michael

If you have hfc and an exhaust, it's definitely worth starting with the spacers. Zmanalex usually has them in stock.

That is, if the eml code you get it referring to the rear sensors (sensor2).

Yes, I do think it was the rear sensor that was showing the issue. Thanks for the reply.

Spacers will probably not get rid of the EML. This happened to me and spacers did nothing. If they do, then you're lucky and i'd suggest playing the lottery if you don't already. If the EML doesn't go out it'll be the ECU reigning in the air flow/oil mix due to the HFCs most probably. The only way you can get round that is to get a re-map, or maybe a new sensor.

Edited by Rock_Steady

Spacers will probably not get rid of the EML. This happened to me and spacers did nothing. If they do, then you're lucky and i'd suggest playing the lottery if you don't already. If the EML doesn't go out it'll be the ECU reigning in the air flow/oil mix due to the HFCs most probably. The only way you can get round that is to get a re-map, or maybe a new sensor.

Okay thanks. Would a new sensor really do the trick though, if the current sensor is being triggered by what I guess is essentially a different flow to standard. I remember on an Impreza I used to have it was either a remap or "bypass" the sensor, if I recall correctly.

As per Rock_Steady, go for the spacers as they're so cheap you'd be mad not to try them first.

They didn't fix it for my Berks but they have done for some. Ultimately, sounds like a good excuse for an UpRev and getting the CEL disabled.

• Like 1

I think the uprev re-map isn't to bad considering I had spend £1600 for a stand alone and a mapping session on a previous car. £400 isn't too bad. But yes, why not try a new lambda, you might get lucky, if you don't then at least you know it's the ECU and get a re-map. It's o.k to run the zed with the EML if it's just the sensors. It'll run a bit rich which of course is better than lean in this situation.

Edited by Rock_Steady

Who can remap without it costing the earth? I don't want Uprev anyway.

£350 I've been quoted. Full custom professional remap. A new sensor plus fitting is probably going to be in the £150 region, so the way I see it is pay more for a guaranteed solution with the added benefit of the car running better - i'm not a numbers chaser.

• Like 1

£350 I've been quoted. Full custom professional remap. A new sensor plus fitting is probably going to be in the £150 region, so the way I see it is pay more for a guaranteed solution with the added benefit of the car running better - i'm not a numbers chaser.

Fair enough. That's what im going to do. Stuff the sensor and get a re-map. End of story.

What area is this? I might Tey the same thing.