Banana arm ... bushes or the works ?

Guest marcw79

Dragging up this issue again ... need to bounce thoughts off someone ...

Have got front end knock at low speeds ... The usual pain in the arse undiagnosable problem ...

Both droplinks replaced ... no improvement ... banana arms next ... is it worth replacing just bushes first or should I bite the bullet and get the arms and bushes etc replaced in totality ? I keep going back and forth on it in my head ... reason being is that next month is going to be expensive as I am buying ark grip exhaust ... replacing the roof with mohair ... replacing a door card ... getting some other bits sorted and paying off a credit card on top of the usual mortgage blah blah ... so I need to make the right decision both for the car and my wallet ... seems to me that I would be double handling the problem and paying more overall if I get the bushes replaced and his does not solve the problem (is that even a likely outcome ??) .... There again it would be alot cheaper to replace the bushes than do the whole lot ...

Any opinions would be appreciated ... no sympathy expected :p

Marc

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yeah ... im kinda thinking that might be the case ... saves doubling up on labour charges ... poor old bank balance ....

Thanks Stu .... would ZMANALEX be the guy to get in touch with for parts ? I am going to get the super pro caster adjustable kit for the bushes so I need the arms, cone and any other bits ...

Edited by marcw79

Thanks gillywig2 ill be sure to have that checksed though I have had a bunch of guys check everything with pry bars etc ... as usual no joy though ...

Not a bad idea ... hoping that with the super-pro bushes there won't be a next time ... but certainly worth considering :-)

• Like 1

Not a bad idea ... hoping that with the super-pro bushes there won't be a next time ... but certainly worth considering :-)

That's my plan. About to shell out £500 for the same thing (new arms) in about 2 weeks time :(

Edited by Sargara

Well I've always been of the opinion that stuff should be "done right and done once" ... even if it costs more to start with ... so many people (my clients included) seem to struggle with that and elect to go with a false economy ... though I also get in the sh*t with my better half for spending too much too ...

Have you tried left foot braking whilst driving slowly over your favourite bumpy surface ? If the knocking stops (because the banana bar will definitely be in compression at this point) then it's 99 to 1 that it's the ball joint not the bushes

Also can you tell which side the noise is coming from ? ... for some reason it's usually LHS first

I bit the bullet and did the whole arm thankfully it was just the left hand side one :) did front and rear droplinks the other weekend as they bought back the knocking *sigh* but now all is silent again :D except for the exhaust ;) welcome to owning a ark grip it's lovely!

Yeah ... can't wait for the exhaust ... am going to have a listen to humpy's tomorrow ... may end up adding berk hfc's I suspect :D

Edited by marcw79

Have you tried left foot braking whilst driving slowly over your favourite bumpy surface ? If the knocking stops (because the banana bar will definitely be in compression at this point) then it's 99 to 1 that it's the ball joint not the bushes

Also can you tell which side the noise is coming from ? ... for some reason it's usually LHS first

Thanks for that ... im out in the zed tomorrow so will give that a go and see what happens :-) can't tell which side .. may be both ... The guy who owned it before me didn't give a shi* about the car so there are masses of problems with it and so both sides wouldn't surprise me ...