Headlight Refurbishment

Joeycuz

So today I decided to have mine and the girlfriends headlights restored as they where looking faded and ruining the appearance of the motors. I wasn't expecting too much as her car is 13 years old but the results are amazing!

before:

F8265CA6-0AE9-4B9E-8820-AD59D4EFE2B2_zpss4lxzlwb.jpg

After:

58A5F3B8-E84B-4740-9C93-ED46A64DF794_zpsz40d7axf.jpg

34744DE7-F960-4057-B656-772A938322C4_zpswwji4tsa.jpg

Mine weren't too bad to be fair but whilst the guy was here I got him to do them anyway.

Before:

A2DCD9B6-6670-4AAA-AFD9-8BBA0A7EC642_zpsoaawtnj6.jpg

C9164BE3-D66B-4E5C-85A5-B62B13AD216A_zps8cqmgzqo.jpg

After:

D236AC8C-2BC2-4412-91AF-578331F3B58D_zpsw0gkbjfx.jpg

91200CB3-A6F3-4D6A-80DD-C38DD20564CB_zpsiakg3eii.jpg

214709C7-7A74-448B-9074-88AD13382B25_zpsrkqf4thq.jpg

Would highly reccomend it and the guy I used is very reasonably priced ðŸ‘

Edited by Joeycuz
  • Like 1

£30 sounds like a good price. The kit is really easy to use, just wipe on/wipe off.....not had to use the drill & sponge yet but I guess it depends how bad your lights are in the first place.

Edit: would be interested to see how long a professional job lasts compared to a DIY kit.....

Edited by Kraziekatz1

£30 sounds like a good price. The kit is really easy to use, just wipe on/wipe off.....not had to use the drill & sponge yet but I guess it depends how bad your lights are in the first place.

Edit: would be interested to see how long a professional job lasts compared to a DIY kit.....

The Clio lights were in a terrible state. Couldn't see the bulbs through the glass as it had a yellowish layer. Mine weren't too bad and I probably could have done it myself tbf.

I was told if I apply some polish to them on a monthly basis then they should be good for a long time.

The Clio lights were in a terrible state. Couldn't see the bulbs through the glass as it had a yellowish layer. Mine weren't too bad and I probably could have done it myself tbf.

I was told if I apply some polish to them on a monthly basis then they should be good for a long time.

Endlessly polishing the top layer away isn't really a solution. Apply a UV resistant coating like GTechniq C4 and you won't have to do anything to them at all for at least a year.

• Like 1

Endlessly polishing the top layer away isn't really a solution. Apply a UV resistant coating like GTechniq C4 and you won't have to do anything to them at all for at least a year.

Interesting, thanks il look into getting some 😂

Yep, essentially a headlamp lens is a polycarbonate with a hardcoat on the top to protect it from yellowing/protect against stone chips.

If you polish you need to treat with a hardcoat again in order to protect the polycarbonate underneath otherwise it'll just keep happening as said above.

Edited by Cyder

Yep, essentially a headlamp lens is a polycarbonate with a hardcoat on the top to protect it from yellowing/protect against stone chips.

If you polish you need to treat with a hardcoat again in order to protect the polycarbonate underneath otherwise it'll just keep happening as said above.

yep, confirmed following my own refurb

bought some meguiar headlight uv protector for round two....