Idling and Stalling Issue tonight! Help . . .

monkeybrain1234

Left gym and car started fine. No issues/cause for concerns prior to this event.

Got 500 yards down dual carriageway and engine seemed to cough and splutter a bit. Was around 3000rpm and tried to accelerate a bit more, engine didn’t seem to want to accelerate freely, almost like it was limping. :wacko:

Got to roundabout and the revs died as I came to a stop and engine cut out.

Restarted car and engine started but idle was erratic.

Went to push accelerator but every time press pedal Revs died from idle and cut the engine out!

No warning lights or EML. :angry:

Tried to restart a few times, same issue, lumpy idle, press accelerator and revs died.

Called RAC out to have a look. He had a check of the engine etc and no issues he could see, all fluids fine. Started it up and surely enough did it again. (engine had cooled off a bit waiting 2 hours for Mr RAC).

Then Mr RAC fired the Z up and gave it some revs, held it around 2500rpm, then he gave it a few blips around rev counter.

Car was now idling as normal and seems fine!

Drove it home about 10 miles, and no issues, felt like normal! (The RAC man followed me home, felt rather embarrassed). :blush:

Questions:

1. Anyone else experienced something similar?

2. Could it be some dirt got into the fuel line and him revving it clearer it?

3. I will check oil, coolant etc in the morning ,anything else I should check?

4. Any other advice??

sounds like the engine is being starved of fuel or air . . I would check the filters/air intake related bits and/or the fuel pump.

I would agree with this, certainly seems that way. Would I be right in saying if it was air chances are the EML would come on for the mix?

How would I go about checking the fuel pump?

So drove to work with fingers crossed.

15 miles, mix of stop start traffic town driving and clear motorway.

All seemed fine. All fluid levels were okay too . . . . Did notice a little bit of 'hunting' on idle, not cutting out, but dropping to 500rpm then coming back to idle around 800rpm

Any suggestions - bit worried it will happen again . .. . . :wacko:

Edited by monkeybrain1234

MAF clean with appropriate precautions and correct fluid wouldn't hurt, have a quick look for a guide. Cured a lumpy idle for me, though mine never actually cut out, just stumbled :)

Will give this a go. Cleaning the MAF and Throttle body. Can I use the same Carb Cleaner for cleaning the MAF?

Have read many topics about cleaning the throttle body and MAF on here but I am unable to find an actual guide for doing it . . . anyone able to link me to a guide (if there is one) :teeth:

My tech used electrical contact cleaner on the MAF. Be careful with it, it looks delicate.

Speaking of which, the throttle body can be super stroppy too, but only on the HR I believe. So make sure you disconnect the battery first (be careful about the door glass when it's disconnected).

I couldn't find a guide, but do read this if you have an HR.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/86610-high-erratic-idle-2007-coupe-70k-mileage/page__st__20

May help may not but today my car died on me for a bit same symptoms as what you said and turned out that it was my poor air intake installation managed to suck some water in but was only water spray but was enough for my to lose all power over 2.5K revs. Got home let her sit for a bit, put original intake box in and she's back to normal with no damage or knocking :)

• Like 1

May help may not but today my car died on me for a bit same symptoms as what you said and turned out that it was my poor air intake installation managed to suck some water in but was only water spray but was enough for my to lose all power over 2.5K revs. Got home let her sit for a bit, put original intake box in and she's back to normal with no damage or knocking :)

Thanks for sharing your experience. Although when mine happend it had been dry for days so no water/spray. Also I just have the standard airflow box. Hope yours sorts itself out.

Since my issue I have driven 100miles and all seems fine, but I am keen to find the reason for the problem and it also seems to be hunting a bit on idle but not cutting out or so.

Bit worried it could reoccur and leave me stranded somewhere again! - Going to carefully clean the MAF and Throttle body over the weekend and see if that helps. . . .

Have you checked the air filter to see if it is still intact?

And try running the engine with the filter out to see if that cures the lumpy running and/or change the filter if it is looking clogged.

Have not checked that Colin. Was serviced 11 months ago and new filter was put in then, but will check for sure. Thinking of air filters, only thing I have added recently is a Carbon fibre cooling panel. For looks nothing else. Surely this would not create the issue. . . . :wacko: