Air filter doesn't fit

S10 Z

I bought this filter last week, it does sit inside but not completely snug (like the old OEM one did), is this going to cause problems, have I bought the wrong filter etc? It isn't loose, just a bit in the middle is sticking out from the frame. The engine runs fine with it in.

It's 2007, ie HR if I'm not wrong. What year is yours? DE? I'm not 100% but I think HR and DE filter is different. If wrong filter is fitted, your engine will still work OK but not be filtering foreign objects properly that might damage your engine in long run. Worth getting the right one mate.

Edited by veeg33
  • Like 1

It's 2007, ie HR if I'm not wrong. What year is yours? DE? I'm not 100% but I think HR and DE filter is different. If wrong filter is fitted, your engine will still work OK but not filtering foreign objects properly that might damage your engine in long run. Worth getting the right one mate.

Its a 56 plate so yeah it will be a DE. It was definitely that filter, the engine code on it is DE (I tried putting in 2007 to see if it had anything different).
  • Like 1

It's 2007, ie HR if I'm not wrong. What year is yours? DE? I'm not 100% but I think HR and DE filter is different. If wrong filter is fitted, your engine will still work OK but not filtering foreign objects properly that might damage your engine in long run. Worth getting the right one mate.

Its a 56 plate so yeah it will be a DE. It was definitely that filter, the engine code on it is DE (I tried putting in 2007 to see if it had anything different).

You are right, the spec does says DE. As long as you are happy that is filtering properly, it should be OK. Few bugs won't kill you engine IMO B)

• Like 1

Think about the worst case scenario, i.e. what happens if I run a filter that doesn't filter properly? Well, you end up with larger particles being sucked directly into your engine, and the damage that could cause.

Now ask yourself again if you should change it for one that fits properly. ;)

I suspect that the OP knows the answer to his question - there have been a few threads along the lines of "I've bought this xxx - it was cheap but doesn't really fit / tyres don't grip etc

I'm not a psychologist but I suspect it's -

"I know I've been a twit - I've been stitched by someone selling inferior or knock-off goods - now stroke me and tell me it'll all be OK. (Rather than admit I was cheap and I should have bought the proper item for the job) "

The real answer is - "Do you want to accept compromise / potentially damage your car / crash on cheap tyres / other unpleasant scenario?" or - "Is it worth doing it right? Are you saving enough to make it worth risking your engine / car / life?"

If the answer to any of these is "I don't want to risk it" then - buy decent tyres / get it serviced by someone who knows what they're doing / spend that extra couple of quid, and make the most of your HIGH PERFORMANCE car where you really don't want to cut corners.

Alternatively - if you haven't got the budget, perhaps you should consider whether you want to risk 300 horsepower and £x000 investment in machinery and go look at something more economical.

(Now awaits flaming for being snotty, but - as I said - I suspect the OP really knows the answer already and just wanted a nice fluffy stroking to say it would be OK - when it won't