Quote from STS Tyre Pros

z350convert

2003 350z GT

Left exhaust beginning to rattle and i know the system is badly corroded so took it in to STS Tyre Pros today and they let me see around under it to establish what needed doing.

The Cats seem ok but the tin covering is rusted away and is causing the tinkling sound. The Y pipe flexis look shot. The straight pipe and the back box are heavily corroded around the joint, meaning both need replacing. So it looks like a complete Cat back replacement is necessary.

STS Tyre Pros in Bromley make Powerflow systems to measure so I asked for a quote. They came up with full stainless Cat Back for £1104 inc VAT.

I dont want to spend anything like that for a system that will probably out live the car and very likely it's owner, so the articles on here are really helpful, thanks to all those who contribute.

Any specific advice is welcome. I am late 60s (very), would like 15% more rasp to the exhaust when engine is pushing compared to the standard system I have. I will get it fitted by a pro rather than DIY, those days have gone. Dual system or what? - don't know. Needs to look right on the car and not chavvy.

MOT in Nov so might get through that first and then address the exhaust.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

2003 350z GT

Left exhaust beginning to rattle and i know the system is badly corroded so took it in to STS Tyre Pros today and they let me see around under it to establish what needed doing.

The Cats seem ok but the tin covering is rusted away and is causing the tinkling sound. The Y pipe flexis look shot. The straight pipe and the back box are heavily corroded around the joint, meaning both need replacing. So it looks like a complete Cat back replacement is necessary.

STS Tyre Pros in Bromley make Powerflow systems to measure so I asked for a quote. They came up with full stainless Cat Back for £1104 inc VAT.

I dont want to spend anything like that for a system that will probably out live the car and very likely it's owner, so the articles on here are really helpful, thanks to all those who contribute.

Any specific advice is welcome. I am late 60s (very), would like 15% more rasp to the exhaust when engine is pushing compared to the standard system I have. I will get it fitted by a pro rather than DIY, those days have gone. Dual system or what? - don't know. Needs to look right on the car and not chavvy.

MOT in Nov so might get through that first and then address the exhaust.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

If you're on a budget. I belive Tarmac@Tarmacsportz do their own band of Y pipe at a very good price.

I'd recommend a Scorpian system. Probably the quietest system (or one of ) on the market. Will be louder than OEM (so it will tick your 15% box) and is also a cheap exhaust system. Around 400 I believe.

Not 100% sure if Tarmac can get that system, but I know Mitz@Cougarstore can on here :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the help.

Like the Scorpion sound but pretty pricy still with the Y pipe added on. Tarmac do a very good deal on the Miltek system £660 inc resonator box and Y pipe - but have seen mixed reviews. It's the old phrase "You get what you paid for" I suppose.

Could get a Scorpion box and resonator bit but use a cheaper Y pipe, or would that compromise the Scorpion do you think?

Open to suggestions, but don't fancy a second hand system

That miltek option won't include a y pipe at that price I would have thought. Miltek are a league above in terms of build quality compared with the scorpion ...... I know as I've run both . If you want to do it cheap , get a 2nd hand standard y pipe ( £30-50 ) scorpion exhaust .

Sorry just re read your post . Y pipes don't really make a difference in sound . As in a standard y pipe with a scorpion exhaust will sound near on identical to one with a aftermarket y pipe .

Edited by Bodyboarder81

Z Veteran

Yes you are right, the price doesn't include the Y pipe...file:///Users/neilcollins/Desktop/Milltek%20350z%20Exhaust%20Systems%20|%20Tarmac%20Sportz.html, but if it's a good make it's still a good deal.

Y pipes do go for £110 ish on ebay, some with 2.5 inch outlet and some 3.

Thanks again

Japex are replacing my HR Y pipe on Wednesday, I believe it's in reasonable condition as Ross said it didn't need replacing. Won't know more until it's off but you'd be welcome to it if you can collect from Kings Langley.

Thanks for the offer. Could you let me know if it is in really good shape and how much you want for it? I'm in the South, near Bromley.

Many thanks

Japex are replacing my HR Y pipe on Wednesday, I believe it's in reasonable condition as Ross said it didn't need replacing. Won't know more until it's off but you'd be welcome to it if you can collect from Kings Langley.

Thanks for the offer. Could you let me know if it is in really good shape and how much you want for it? I'm in the South, near Bromley.

Many thanks

I'll ask Ross for an honest opinion and to hold onto it if it's good. I'm not after any money for it, just happy to pass it on if you're happy to collect. :)

Edited by roadtrip

• 1 month later...