My front and rear tyres are the same width?

Smc1992

Hi guys

Ive read somewhere that a good tyre set up is 225 on the front and 245 on the rear.

My zed current has 225 width front and rear so should I just maintain this when it comes to new tyre time?

Thanks

Scott

No! That's oversteer city and an accident waiting to happen, you must feel the rear has naff all grip and your TCS is cutting in all the time?

Go back to 225/245 F/R ASAP, I really wouldn't risk running the setup you have for anything other than an emergency.

I have noticed the TCS kicking in a bit actually, but it is my first zed and just thought because it is a powerful car and RWD that it was just a little tail happy so I have just driven cautious of this (especially in the wet).

If the rear tyres are meant to be wider does that mean the rear alloys themselves should be slightly wider than the front alloy?

Depends on what wheels you have: The OEM wheels are the same width, the Rays are half an inch wider at the rear. Aftermarket wheels could be anything.

But yeah, the Zed can be tail happy but it shouldn't be that tail happy! :D

• Like 1

When I did my research on the zed before it was bought, tyre widths didnt really come into the equation. I have only noticed this since I have been looking at getting a new set and previous cars i've owned have been the same all round so even if I had of noticed when viewing/test driving, it wouldn't have meant anything to me at the time

I have noticed the TCS kicking in a bit actually, but it is my first zed and just thought because it is a powerful car and RWD that it was just a little tail happy so I have just driven cautious of this (especially in the wet).

If the rear tyres are meant to be wider does that mean the rear alloys themselves should be slightly wider than the front alloy?

The 350Z was designed around running a staggered wheel set up so that's part of why the TCS is playing up for you.

What alloys are on your Zed?

Are they the forged Rays alloys like below?

08052009420.jpg

As Dan (Ekona) mentions if so these alloys are 8J on the front & 8.5J on the rear so supposed to be running 225 on the front with 245 on the rear. ;)

Yeah that makes sense, and no I dont have the rays, It have the other nissan alloys that come standard on a GT pack back when the rays were an optional extra and not included with the GT.

I do want a set of rays though!

So I am guessing it will be a similar set up for these alloys with the rear alloys being wider.

This is even more worrying now, if the rear alloys are wider to suit 245 tyres and it has a 225 tyre then it wont be fit onto the alloy correctly will it?

Yeah that makes sense, and no I dont have the rays, It have the other nissan alloys that come standard on a GT pack back when the rays were an optional extra and not included with the GT.

I do want a set of rays though!

So I am guessing it will be a similar set up for these alloys with the rear alloys being wider.

This is even more worrying now, if the rear alloys are wider to suit 245 tyres and it has a 225 tyre then it wont be fit onto the alloy correctly will it?

No it's not the same ~ If it's the OEM ones I'm thinking of (as Dan mentioned again I believe) they are the same size alloy on the front & rear (18x8J) but will have been running 225 front/245 rear as either will safely fit on the rim.

45280d1280449620-fs-18-track-rims-oem-2003-350z-tyres-lock-nuts-sdc17532.jpg

Hope this is helping make things clearer or at least giving you food for thought. :thumbs:

Yeah they are the ones I have! I Missed Dans comment up there :lol:

Well the tyres are currently legal but looking low for my liking and to be honest, I do not feel like they are sticking to the road like they should be which is why I have been doing my research.

Looking to invest in some MPSS, found some for £470 (i think) on tyreleader. If I buy tyres for the OEM alloys I think i'll get them refurbed and keep them for a while and maybe invest in some rays in the future.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!

If I could find some rays with a decent set of MPSS tyres on then I would be all over them :lol: cant say ive come across any just yet :(

Plenty for sale on eBay at varying prices, some with part worn tyres & some just alloys.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-350Z-Z33-Vq35De-Oem-Rays-Forged-Alloys-Tyres-18-Drift-Gduk-Spares-/161785246317?hash=item25ab26f26d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_kw=Nissan+350z+RAYS+Alloys&_jsoff=1

Keep an eye on here as well as they do come up for sale occasionally when people change alloys (sold mine on here a couple of years ago). :thumbs: