Rod Complete Compression Front Suspension

sianny

Had a service last week and been waiting patiently for a cost through to fix a job they said needed doing urgently. I've just chased them 9 days later and been quoted nearly £800 can someone tell me if I'm being duped:

The front passenger side arm thing was no longer in / around / on the bushes? Someone called it a wishbone on the day it had a service and on the video they showed me the mechanic said that this certain thing should go around the white thing on another part, but it wasn't attached anymore and that was very bad... anyways it's now been called a Rod Complete Compression Front Suspension... because of this the inner tyre on that corner is totally worn so as soon as the part is back on the bushes I'll get a new tyre.

These Rod Complete Compression Front Suspension are £256.18 + VAT and £180 for an hours work (I'm in the wrong business). Also "...if I'm doing one I may as well do both" I laughed

Can anyone make sense of what the garage told me and is there a better part than the Nissan part they've quoted? Also anyone know where I should go for a good service in North Wales?

I'm trying to get them to send me the video of the mechanic under my car, I'll add the link if I get it.

I totally understand that everything I've written above is exactly why girls like me should have boyfriends that "do cars"

The compression rod is basically a metal rod, on one end there is a rubber bush and the other there is a ball joint.

Its common for the bushes to fail and they can be replaced for around £80 + labour. The ball joint can also fail however in this case the whole arm must be changed.

The best course of action is to get it into a garage that really know these cars, I am no where near Whales so I can't offer any recommendations however I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Any needed parts can be sourced at reasonable prices from traders on this forum.

These Rod Complete Compression Front Suspension are £256.18 + VAT and £180 for an hours work (I'm in the wrong business). Also "...if I'm doing one I may as well do both" I laughed

Can anyone make sense of what the garage told me and is there a better part than the Nissan part they've quoted? Also anyone know where I should go for a good service in North Wales?

ZManalex sells these genuine Nissan parts for £137.50 including VAT and postage. Serviceyourcar in Buckley fitted them for around a £100 plus VAT....I had to have both mine and the wife's Zed done.

Pete

Unless, as mentioned, the balljoint is knackered, or the arm is seriously worn, then complete replacement is totally unnecessary.

2 genuine bushes are ~£75. A garage near me has apparently perfected the job to 40 mins so I'd expect it all in for around £120.

40 mins is certainly better than the near 40 hours it took me last weekend due to horrendous amounts of corrosion holding the damn thing on.

The end thats attached to the car (bush end) tends to be the one thats stuck. I tried everything on mine and in the end took it to Horsham. After telling me they "had to get medieval on it" they welded a bar to the bush and hammered it off.

You might get lucky and it will just pop off however if you take it to a garage it should only be a couple of hours of labour. Either way it should cost a lot, lot less than £800.

Don't forget to do both sides, if one side has gone the other isn't far behind. Zmanalex almost certainly has given you the parts for both sides.

Yep definitely bought the parts for both sides, he also recommended some seating cones, bought them too.

From the way you're talking I would definitely get someone to do them for you. I did mine and it was not straight forward - and I got a local place to press the old bushes out and the new bushes in (cost a tenner) .

Just saying

• 1 month later...

Yep definitely bought the parts for both sides, he also recommended some seating cones, bought them too.

From the way you're talking I would definitely get someone to do them for you. I did mine and it was not straight forward - and I got a local place to press the old bushes out and the new bushes in (cost a tenner) .

Just saying

Me, my boyfriend, and 2 friends did it on the driveway, so to speak. We didn't need a garage though we did make 1 call to zmanalex :)