Headlight ballast

wrayvon

Hey folks

So I tried to solve the issue of my headlight not working on 1 side (due to missing wheel arch liner) so I bought a new liner and a bulb/ballast set.

I managed to get the bulb out very easy, that looked burnt out so I replaced that. Still not working. So I can now only assume it is the ballast.

How do I go about removing the ballast? It looks very tucked away in terms of access to screws. Please tell me I don't have to take the bumper off and go at it that way?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Hey folks

So I tried to solve the issue of my headlight not working on 1 side (due to missing wheel arch liner) so I bought a new liner and a bulb/ballast set.

I managed to get the bulb out very easy, that looked burnt out so I replaced that. Still not working. So I can now only assume it is the ballast.

How do I go about removing the ballast? It looks very tucked away in terms of access to screws. Please tell me I don't have to take the bumper off and go at it that way?

Thanks in advance

Sam

....removing the headlight ballast.....will that affect handling..and would Heavy ballast make much difference to an, err, 'light ballast? ;)

Edited by GriffGTV

Hey folks

Thanks in advance

Sam

....removing the headlight ballast.....will that affect handling..and would Heavy ballast make much difference to an, err, 'light ballast? ;)

Err...?

Bumper off mate, headlight out as the ballast is screwed to the underside of the light unit. Easiest option is to leave the original in situe and get a replacement. Saying which can you get to the plug to unplug the old ballast unit?

Thanks. So you leave the original ballast in and fit a new one as well?!

Bumper is a 10 minute job the first time you remove it, the headlight is held in with only 4 bolts, so pretty easy and not too time consuming to do yourself.

Do it nice or do it twice :thumbs:

Thank you. That can be this weekends job then!

Bumper off mate, headlight out as the ballast is screwed to the underside of the light unit. Easiest option is to leave the original in situe and get a replacement. Saying which can you get to the plug to unplug the old ballast unit?

Thanks. So you leave the original ballast in and fit a new one as well?!

Ignore that, not only is it a botched job, but you also can't do it because the ignitor lead from the ballast passes through the headlight from the top of the ballast attached to the light and to the bulb. So it is actually not possible to simply attach another ballast and plug it in, unless you leave the cap that protects the back of the bulb off.

Edited by KyleR