Tyres

Matthews5

First post on here!

I've just put my zed on WedsSports SA60M,

Rear 10j 275/35

Front 9j 245/35

Question is I don't think there thick enough, should I have gone for the 275/40 and 245/40?

There's so much room in the arches the gap at the bottom looks massive to me, between the skirts and the wheel, and on the other side, the wheel to the bottom of bumper?

What do you think?

I use higher profile tyres to close gap.

You shouldn't, as that's how the TCS starts getting confused. You also end up raising the car, which makes it look like a 4x4.

That said, you will get a more supple ride as there's more give in the tyres. Normally you'd do that by dropping wheel sizes instead though.

You don't change arch gap with tyres, you do it with lowering springs. :)

Dunno I went from a 265/40/18 to a 275/45/18 and it appears to have closed the gap

Quite. It'll work, but it's the wrong way to do it. You increased the profile by nearly 20mm, or 3/4".

Why did you do that, out of interest?

You don't change arch gap with tyres, you do it with lowering springs. :)

Dunno I went from a 265/40/18 to a 275/45/18 and it appears to have closed the gap

Quite. It'll work, but it's the wrong way to do it. You increased the profile by nearly 20mm, or 3/4".

Why did you do that, out of interest?

mistyped meant 275/40/18 :p

First post on here!

I've just put my zed on WedsSports SA60M,

Rear 10j 275/35

Front 9j 245/35

Question is I don't think there thick enough, should I have gone for the 275/40 and 245/40?

There's so much room in the arches the gap at the bottom looks massive to me, between the skirts and the wheel, and on the other side, the wheel to the bottom of bumper?

What do you think?

If you're running 192 rims those tyre sizes are fine. I run exactly the same 245/35 + 275/35, I can't say I have noticed the gap between the tyres and the arches being particularly huge. Check my sig to see how my Zed looks on the same sizes you're running

ah that explains a lot... yeah, you should have gone for a 40 profile in those widths on 18" wheels.

general rules,

when going up a wheel diameter (18" to 19"), and keeping the same width tyre, drop one size in profile.

when going for wider tyres (225/245 to 245/275, but keeping the same wheel diameter, drop one size in profile.

when going up a wheel diameter and getting wider tyres, drop 2 sizes in profile.