Jump to content

350Butcher

Members
  • Posts

    780
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by 350Butcher

  1. Seen a few pics of naca ducts on the under tray routed up, but I wouldn't know if that's good enough on its own for what I'm doing with the car! Need some of those temp strips for before and after when I do hook something up to make sure it's actually working. Also I read that the closer to the center of the front of the car the intake is the better, as air starts to move sideways from the center as you travel through the air so less and less air is entering the ducting if you put the intakes on either side of the front bumper (where it looks right to put them) Nothing's simple!!
  2. Cheers Ross! Been following your build too, its coming on nicely. I'm sure BG will be happy to sort you out with the same kit. They are pretty impressive, not really fully bed in and only been around the roads with them so far and already the feel, progression and power of them is on a different level to before. Think with all your torque you'll be upsetting the electronics quite easily so once you're happy with it I'd get it all disabled and start pressing on! As said to a few others, would be good to get a few of these Z's out on track together some time. Ah like that is it! Yeah would be good if you do find it. It's really not the easiest car in the world to get some ducting through. I did get BG to put a couple of little tapping for me on the caliper bracket to attach something to direct air to the center of the discs but its getting it to that point with minimal restrictions that's tricky!
  3. In the diary at the moment are Cadwell Park - Tues 29th May and Spa - Tues 17th July, will look at doing another couple from Aug and I've got my eye on Silverstone GP - Mon 5th Nov Do you take the car out at any normal track days? Also, any chance next time the cars up in the air with the wheels off you could share some pics of how you've run your brake cooling ducting? It's a must do on my list!
  4. They must be the Pro5000+ calipers if they're from that then! I'm sure you get through discs regularly, from what I've heard I think the DS3000's were suppose to be quite an aggressive pad too Thanks, yeah collecting bits this year to soften the blow, its coming along and I think after this next round it's project finished!! Think you did with all the notifications I've just had! Glad you like it, makes sharing the build on the forum worth it
  5. No probs, Millers is great stuff! The extra weight might just help reduce usage. Thought I'd mention it just in case you'd not tried it as that cured the little bit of smoke my following mates reported on my previous DE car. Do you get much into the catch cans? Might give an indication of how worn the rings are.
  6. Hi Rob, Stick in the CFS 10w50, especially if you’re tracking the car. Stick in new PCV valve too if you haven’t already. Worth it as it’s so easy and cheap.
  7. Hi Matt, I’ve found the release bearings to be noisy on the Z’s so if that’s the only reason you’re changing I’d maybe leave it. If you do change it though, recommendations, as above or the Xtreme kit is very good. Avoid Competition Clutch (CC) fitted one to my old DE very poor clutch for feel and bite!
  8. Cheers! Wish it captured all the noise though, gives you an idea but its so much more than the camera captures Back to the mount though, in places like Silverstone where you've got the high speed dive in to Maggots/Becketts left/right/left/right and the weight of the engine tugging the front this way then that, I think the difference in before and after installing the Vibra Technics is definitely noticeable with the front end responding far better with the direction changes
  9. Glad you enjoyed reading through it all, been a lot of work and there's still a few bits to come. N/a tuning is hard work for little gains but its great to drive........I'm sure talk of 700Hp helped convince you to go down that route and who could blame you! Really enjoyed reading through your build too.......awesome car, keep up the good work there and enjoying using it too Cheers! Glad you like the car and how its turned out. I've really enjoyed doing the work and developing the car and of course using it too! Good to know my build has helped inspire you to do the same sort of thing, that's why I started the thread to be honest as there was so little info, pics etc when going down the n/a route that I thought it might help people who may be thinking of doing the same. The 350 really is a great car and with a few of the right mods is unlocked to the next level. If I can be of any help or you want/need any advice just ask, always happy to discuss stuff and help if I can
  10. Yes the HR is a peach compared to the DE's agricultural feel and response..........really enjoyed my earlier car though and it sold me to wanting to keep with another Z Its a work of art those manifolds and has definitely helped release some power......and noise! Sorry to hi jack this thread but you get the idea from this vid
  11. The very best discs available for Brembo equipped 350z and £750+ when new Bought new by me in 2012 and fitted with brand new replacement rotors in Sept 2016 and only removed due to fitting full AP brake kit to the car. Car was off the road winter 2016 and only used from May to Nov in 2017 so they have covered roughly 5-6,000miles and exclusively with Pagid RS29's that are very kind to discs so there is no lip at all despite serving for a few track days in that time. Original set of discs lasted over 4 years so there's 3 years/roughly 15,000 of hard use left in these. In my opinion using these discs with RS29's and standard Brembo's is a better option over the unproven brake kits available on the market and that's why I've run this set up since owning my first 350z in April 2012 and never been disappointed with the on track braking performance available from them. These also benefit from saving a huge amount of weight over 1 piece discs For ref. part No. 324.049.87/88 Link for info (Select 350z, note price is each): https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/brake-discs/performance-friction-direct-drive-2-piece-floating-replacement-discs Located in Warwick and collection preferred £450 (Hard to get good pics so if you wanted to inspect them before purchase that's fine)
  12. For sale are pair of Berk de-cats in perfect condition to suit DE car. Only covered roughly couple of thousand miles. Does not come with gaskets and bolts. Note that installing these will give well documented hiss/rasp that may not be for all so please bear that in mind if you're thinking about buying and obviously you'll not pass you're MOT with these fitted..........but they will free up HP!! For info: https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/exhaust/high-flow-cats-de-cats-y-pipes/berk-technology-350z-03-06-test-pipes-w-cel-fix.html
  13. Haha.........got some proper phwoooooarrr parts arriving in a few weeks!!! I'm so glad it's not just me that thinks like this about lumps of metal
  14. I'm sure you'll be as happy as I am with it Really is a well worth doing upgrade and pound for pound one of the best value too. My car's on PPE long tube manifolds, resonated Motordyne XYZ and Tanabe system.......to be honest it does bark at around 3-3.5k so probably would struggle to hear it but even before the manifolds it didn't make any noise, maybe the later gearbox doesn't rattle quite so much.......my old DE car though did make the rattle at those revs so I know what you mean noise wise. Its an HR car and no extra vibration or resonance at all in to the cabin........car is silent cruising at 80-85 on the motorway
  15. This just arrived on my kitchen table........something for next year!
  16. To be honest I've never looked into the diff further than its viscous and not suitable for getting the power down well enough which is why I swapped it out for the os giken that does the job very well! It's all very crude TC, ESP etc on this car I do know its definitely not a braked LSD, it'll spin the inside wheel up on track quite readily and the when its does grab brake when ESP is triggered it's felt hard through the steering so its the fronts its grabbing at more so than the rears I'd say. Sounds like they've covered everything in the manual for why it doesn't work that well
  17. Regarding noise.....there is none extra over Oem at all. However the benefits of the extra support and not being caught without being able to grab a gear on track are completely cured with this mount I have the Xtreme single mass steel flywheel fitted to my car which is only apparent at idle there is no noise from it when driving. If yours is an ally flywheel they are noisier I believe......which is why mine is steel......there's a theme to all of my mods!
  18. Cheers!! Glad you're happy with the AP's as I know you're giving them a good work out!! Can't wait to get on track with mine soon! Out of interest what pads do you run in yours? Also.......can't see from the pics, is your kit the shelf 350z kit with 7040 calipers and 362mm CG12 discs that AP offer? I did quite a bit of homework when choosing and making my kit and using the CP5555 calipers with the 343mm PFC disc will save you over 2kgs a side of unsprung weight over the shelf kit. Given that you're racing thought that might be of interest to you........I hope this doesn't read as being rude or cheeky cos it's not meant like that, just some good info Good to hear! I'm hopeful it does make a good difference. I ordered direct from Mtech Ind and they arrived within a week and cost about £70 inc Vat and duty so could be a good value mod. If install is fairly easy on the BRZ too then go for it!
  19. No problem!! Re engine mounts, its hard to review them as I changed so much at the same time as installing them. That said, on track the front end it definitely improved in terms of turn in and response and some of that I'd give to the mounts. If you've ever driven with something heavy loose in the boot then you'll know the effect it has when it jolts the car around, the same of when the engine has that small movement and jolts load through the front end...........its got to be better to get rid of that movement and the negative effects it has and its worth noting that like the gearbox mount there's no additional NVH You'll be very pleased with them If its any other poly or solid type mount then other than being quiet I'm not sure it offers any more (or any less for that) in terms of support and control Don't think anything is under additional stress just think it eliminates the movement under load that the gearbox experiences
  20. I had read all about the unwanted noises when replacing this mount, when I bought their engine mounts I asked Vibra Technics if they could make me a matching gearbox mount, they said yes, I tested it and now its available and has been for a bit now. All the benefits that you'd want from the upgraded mount and I can assure you there's no unwanted noises at all! So if you do find it too much then get this ordered http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/nissan/350z/724/NIS234M/transmission_mount_
  21. Got the new brakes installation and finished off and torqued up etc today Popped a fresh set of RS42 in the rear And all bled up with PFC fluid.........pedal already feels a load better! The old calipers were knackered and as the pistons weren't sliding smoothly / freely and snagging / grabbing the pedal was spongy as a result.........now its nice and firm! Also, saw these and thought I'd have a go and see if they offered any improvement to the quality or the gearshift For those that may not know........they are shifter/detent springs which I'd not seen before. They dictate the strength of the resistance felt when you move the gear stick from left to right, so with a stronger spring shifting up or down across the gate should align up better and make for slicker/faster shifting. I used to have the Quaife shifter in my old Astra track car and that was very heavily sprung and made for razor sharp and fast accurate shifting so I had high hopes for this improving things for the Z........not that I thought it would get close to the Quaife set up........not that the Z has too much wrong with the shifting either but the car was already in the air and it wasn't too big or expensive to be worth a go and see! Old spring coming out......there's one each side. Access is tight but OK (oem on top) Nothing to look at but the replacement is easily firmer when squeezed between your fingers When I tax the car in May, in 2 days, and take it out for its first spin for a while I shall report back on whether or not this is a nice little mod or an absolute waste of time, effort and money!! While working around the car I couldn't help but thinking this was a good angle to view the new kit on the car.........shameful excuse to post yet another pic of them!!!
  22. Forgot to add that if anyone else wanted this same brake kit then it now has a part no. and is would be available through BG developments http://www.bgdevelopments.co.uk/ Drop them an email to discuss
  23. Cheers! Glad you said it.........I was gonna be polite and not mention all the shiney show brakes that seem to be everywhere at the moment with price tags that make me cringe!! Really looking forward to getting out on track with these............Cadwell Park at the end of May should bed them in nicely!!
  24. How I've said is how it is. The button alone definitely doesn't disable it all but you'd have to be on track to discover it. No theory......that's what Godlsme has done as he is a quick track driver. Its a must for tracking a Z. If you fit a switch to the power to the G sensors then its throws out the whole system, just the same as removing the fuse. Same result either way.
  25. Why thank you...........I'll be doing my best! My Brembo's are destroyed and have distorted due to the heat so sadly have gone in the bin. I have seen this exact setup on a Z3 M coupe 24hour VLN race car so I think these will be safe Haha they are half the weight of the ones that came off you know! Its the equivalent of 1 passenger stepping off a cruise ship but new brakes need new bolts and why not make them sexy Ti ones As I understand it and from what I've found....... 1. On. Wheels slip TC jumps in like a sledge hammer and cuts engine. The Stability control has G sensors in the car (under the center console I believe) they are factory set that if you achieve a level set by Nissan (no idea what it is but it's not high enough) the car starts grabbing brakes in an effort to save you from yourself.......in a crude and horrible feeling way! 2. Button off. Now you can spin the wheels till your tyres are dead but SC as above is still active and lingering in the high speed corners to scare the life out of you! 3. Off Off with the VDC fuse pulled. Disables TC, SC and ABS (as its on the same fuse) so nothing is gonna interrupt your driving pleasure of a Z on track under acceleration, cornering or braking.........you are on your own and all the better for it!
×
×
  • Create New...