Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. Nicely put TT. All perfectly fair and reasoned. But some people will still call you a swivel-eyed racist... But this is the basic economics of the world and has nothing to do with being in the EU. Cost of living and earning differs by country, as we are near the top of the economic tree, there is a higher salary expectation. There are other countries that pay higher salaries on average such as Denmark but that's also reflected in their cost of living (from memory minimum tax payments are 50%). My fear as stated a few times before is that people are voting leave because they see immigrants on the street and associate blame to them for various issues. The issues at hand are so much bigger than that, I get that I am not living in Rochdale so not in amongst it, but if we do leave, and the theoretical scenario happens where things do not work out great and uncertainty causes job losses and an increase in cost of living can you say hand on heart that is worth it for a chance to implement a points based immigration plan? If so then fair play you are thinking through your Leave vote...
  2. Thanks Niki again really appreciated! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. The completely unbiased telegraph? Newspapers report stuff that will drive up readership, they do not publish the facts. I will browse this tomorrow out of interest...but generally try to avoid biased reporting in dailies.
  4. Thats awesome guys, very generous, Rebecca chuffed to bits, thank you.
  5. That will be an animal on the track ..... lot of money spent on that one ....... Hard to say no to it.... Well easy for me..... 2 metal knee joints, 3" steer bone in the spine and crumbling hip joint means there is not a cat in hells chance of getting into it. Swap the seat out for something more comfortable?
  6. When I get home will pop something on proper... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Driven one...what you wanting to know? Daryl on here bought one last year also.
  8. My wife Rebecca is running in the Richmond Running Festival this year, usually she doesn't collect for charity for such things but has decided on this occasion to do so. Rebecca's family have a friend called Alie who was recently diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease. Being the super positive person she was, Alie set up a web page to talk about her experiences and decided even whilst this incurable and debilitating disease took hold it wouldn't stop her raising awareness and money to fund research being conducted into the disease by a team at Oxford University. Her goal was this year to raise around £50k, within one month of starting she was already £20k into this target and going great guns. Unfortunately MND can in many cases act fast and she was one of the victims of this, she passed away last week. Rebecca's page is here if anyone wishes to help her towards her goal, any contribution of any size would be so much appreciated. http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=RebeccaDeller her page also contains a link to Alie's page which contains a brief but insightful view on what she was like if you want to read more. Admin hope this is ok to post here, just looking around at ways of connecting with people I know at the moment. Let me know if this is a problem. Col
  9. Open door, face away from the car, bend over... ...drop in bum first Swing in left leg, followed by right Job done! Its trusting your backside travels in the direction you want it to that's the trick
  10. I also need to know the business name, as well as the address.
  11. I think I came across this in a google search, but as above, got somewhat confused as to what it was trying to tell me as to be quite frank, I'm a wally at this sort of thing... http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26897197/converting-a-list-of-lat-long-coordinates-to-a-business-name https://developers.google.com/places/web-service/details#PlaceDetailsRequests
  12. Yes the blackpool reliant thing was rubbish, I can see what they were trying to do i.e. introduce the sarcastic american to britain in the worst car, it wasn't meant to be a big lets take 3 lambos to Italy type thing, it was an intro to the two presenters. But it didnt come off in quite the way it should have. Although MLB was funny during the whole thing with his whinging...
  13. I think the focus is just too much on CE. He didn't have a good day, most people acknowledge that, but anything wrong with seeing the Viper and Corvette tanking it around, a good section on the new Ariel. Yes the star section was a bit too long (but thought it was better done looking more in depth at previous cars) but I thought the track change worked (although appreciate this is polarising). We have yet to see the other presenters make their entrance to the TG part in any real measure. I also thought the humour was bang on in terms of content, jokes about catering issues etc were very TG.
  14. That's a bit presumptuous, I used to drink in the local weather spoons at 10am quite a bit... but that's because I'd been working hard up until 9am and fancied an after work drink or 5 depending how stressful the night shift was. There's a lot of people who work odd hours, go for an after work drink and then go home early ready to be awake at stupid o'clock again. It doesn't make them bad people. Even those who aren't working odd hours could be there making deals, team lunches, work birthday drinks etc. But that was my point my point so thanks for reinforcing it The original point was made by Keiron saying that because he saw a foreigner drinking/with a cane etc. that they are a drain on the economy, my point was I can see the same but they are English people also - so whats the difference in terms of what these people are doing and if they are draining the economy at all. Just because they are foreign are we saying therefore they cannot be doing shift work or all the above reasons also? In addition, I do seem some people drinking regularly who I would be happy to stake money on are not making business deals, on a team lunch or birthday drinks and are in fact scroungers...
  15. Its not catch 22 in terms of planning, what they don't know is what the outcome will be, but you can certainly plan for how they might approach it. My starter would be Norway, Switzerland or something else in terms of a trade deal approach. Then they should be considering the distribution of, or at least how they might, distribute all these savings they will be making. Will the public decide? Or will they bring in a committee of politicians, or even business leaders, to decide? What new positions/teams/legislation will be in place to make these new decisions? What are the priorities i.e. as Farming receives a very high EU financing fund, will that be the priority, will that funding come from the savings, or will it come from another source? Taking 'control' of our laws, which laws do they believe they will have control of and wish to influence which they do not currently, again they can reference Norway and Switzerland for some sort of comparison if they are going down that route. I could go on... None of the above has been presented in a coherent way. That said, most people will vote Stay or Go based on a lot less, so I understand why Leave campaigners do not do the above, because I am probably in a tiny minority wanting to know this. They are going after the blinkered voters who read a meme or some 'truth' appearing from a mate of a mate of a mate of a mate on FB.
  16. What oil grade did you put in? (Not that I know much about engines, but maybe a first port of call is to try a different/thicker oil?)
  17. You are generally a smart bunch (with a few exceptions ) can anyone help me with a challenge at work. How to convert large numbers of coordinates into business names. So I have many rows of coordinates that are Lat/Long to six decimal places and I want to associate them to the business name they were collected in. I have googled my way around the internet, clearly there are lots of sites which put a pin in a map when I put in one set of co-ords but I then have to manually zoom in and write down the name of the business, I have around 10,000 coordinates to convert so doing one at a time isn't practical. I have found a business called Foursquare in the US but their responses to my contact emails are so slow I am losing the will to persevere with them! Any ideas on companies that you may have come across that can do this, or any any help on how to achieve this greatly appreciated (Note I am not a programmer...so layman terms to any technical response also appreciated!)
  18. The funny thing is people get so hyped up about the amount of money we 'waste' on the EU - how about some perspective? The net spend to the EU by the UK last year was around £9bn (its not £18bn, thats a number invented by the Leave campaign ignoring rebates, services and payments we get back). Yes, that's a lot of money for me or you, but to an economy of 50m+ its small change. In terms of the net cost, the total tax collections by this government taken between now and this coming Sunday would cover the annual cost of being in the EU. So the videos that get posted up quoting cash sums saving the NHS etc, are the sort of rubbish I tend to dismiss. For me, its about aspiration and independence, and do I take the financial risk to get there. Of course we all want to be in charge of our own destiny (even though the control people think the EU have over us is not as severe as they believe) we are all proud of our nation and what we achieve. But, I do have my own well-being to look after, and if the case for leaving is not sound in my eyes I wont vote for it in some blinkered hope that it will just be alright and that people we have no idea who they are will somehow wave a wand that will make it work.
  19. Do we have the 5th biggest economy because we are part of the biggest trading club though?
  20. At the moment I am voting stay, because the argument to leave is just not good enough. I would be happy to vote leave if I could have some idea about what we are actually going to do, all I see are made up numbers and that they would spend it on this and that (and in the grand scheme of things that's irrelevant) but I still haven't seen how we actually manage the economy from an independent country point of view. Its pretty much going to be 'make it up as we go along' which I am sorry I just cannot buy into.
  21. Seriously, its the first episode! Go back and look at episode 1 of Clarkson/May/Hammond and see what that looked like compared to when they were finishing up last year. It was a no win situation, you have the fanboys who will not admit to liking it even if they did, if they changed it radically people would complain its not got the TG ethos. If they did nothing drastic then its a failure because they didn't change it enough. I think as a first episode, where they have to introduce the characters, manage a new style of running, different staff on the team both in front and behind the camera then it was a fair stab. Viper section was great, I actually prefer the dirt section on the star in a car bit, certainly makes it more interesting. On the negative side that section seemed to go on too long, and yes CE was way over the top but I would expect him to calm down - actually if you watch EG you will see him being interviewed by Rory and he was probably at bang on the level in terms of how to present himself on TV. Unfortunately people have been waiting months to say 'I told you so' and this episode wasn't utterly barnstorming, but it wasn't abject failure either.
  22. coldel

    GT-Four

    Gave it a good run today, back at the house immediately lifted the bonnet, paint working a treat a good cheap mod, although requires a fair amount of elbow grease in prep!
  23. Just watched EG, and I agree its pretty good! Shame its internet only, as many of those posters on twatter probably missed it.
  24. MLB was better than Evans - seemed to be taking it all in his stride. Evans I think was just far too excited by the whole thing. I think they got the studio parts wrong, they seemed to use wide angle shots of the studio which made the presenters look less imposing and there was that weird echo as if Evans was talking without a mic. I think the main two will gel well as time goes on, this is all new, people will have pre-conceptions, I would imagine if we looked at the first episodes of TG with the three previous in it they were hardly the cohesive presenters we see today. As above, they haven't really moved it on, hope it will at some point. Guns on american muscle cars with Top Gun pilots in the passenger seats, thats Clarkson heartland really.
  25. Certainly gives you a feeling of being outside given how low you are to the ground even though its targa - wind noise was ok, a little intrusion but generally pretty good on that front. Great thing about the VX is that they use generally super reliable vauxhall engines and components, repair jobs on these cars cost pittance a its usually a part straight off the shelf at your local vauxhall garage. And the supercharged ones...well they are rocket ships, first time you are in one and put your foot down, will honestly cause you to struggle for air!
×
×
  • Create New...