Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. Not really, banks aren't our parents at all, I said some people behaved like children when they should have been behaving adult to adult. Banks are not, and never should be, our parents. To put the blame 100% at the door of banking for the recession just feels wrong, when the root cause was toxic debt, thats people borrowing beyond their means, lots of people didn't do this even when it was on offer, but enough did. At what point do people become responsible for themselves? At the end of the day, advice is exactly that, advice. Its up to you, as an adult, to take it or not and bear the responsibility of it.
  2. I still remember reading a news report in 2007 entitled "sub-prime mortgages in the US and why we should be worried" no one took a bit of notice. Yes they should have responsibly advised but borrowers cannot possibly pass all the blame, that's like saying I'm a child and any mistake I make is your fault. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. coldel

    GT-Four

    Another little mod which makes the interior feel a little more up to date...chrome rings in the dash. Its the little things that make the difference I say
  4. Ha Bradders! Go for the best you can get, some recordings of these cars going 200k miles plus but who knows how they have been driven. Every car will be different, servicing and condition hugely important. In the fickle UK market if you want something to hold a bit of value and sell quickly some time down the line if you decide to sell lower mileage really makes a difference, most people looking for cars online will put a mileage filter on their search requirements.
  5. Your very worst nightmare...
  6. What does 'banks' mean, who are you referring to? Banking has multiple forms, its probably more complex than I can get to grips with. In its simplest form, wasnt the recession caused by over lending to people being greedy and demanding more than they could afford...in simple terms, plenty of the public were responsible for becoming bad debtors.
  7. You could invest in a mid 90s jap car and have a bit of change, however be prepared to sacrifice on interior luxuries, they tend to be a bit sparse inside. In my opinion, only swap if you want to experience different cars and driving styles, I never regretted selling my zed and trying out the cars I have
  8. Just make sure you ramp up the muppet filter on that forum, it will catch a lot of em. There are some diamonds on there though mate who are uber helpful, just seek em out! Good luck with the car hunt!
  9. You can't resist the supercilious lines can you? Could you be civil please? Growth is all on paper. The way I see it is we had a chance to crash the false economy or punt it down the road and stick it on a card. We postponed the pain for greater pain later. No superiority complex here, all very civil. Take it how you want to.
  10. Exactly. It's the blatant lies both sides are flinging about that is so depressing. But a politician who admits he doesn't know everything would be destroyed. I can't be sure about what will happen or if I'm getting played by someone. It seems at times that the old classic reverse psychology is being used. All the big banks, the City, want to stay in, they claim. That's enough to make me want to vote out. But maybe they actually really want Out because Yurp wants to bring in a transaction tax... Who the hell really knows? A lot of people peddle financial doom but haven't we just had a huge crash with Europe at the helm? And instead of protecting the people they bailed out the financiers? They let the thieves keep their cash and handed the bill to law-abiding people of the southern states and their descendants? And let countries with better credit ratings do some insidious usury by borrowing cheap, lending to the PIGS and calling it a bail-out? Nice club. It was a global crash that actually started in the US...the EU never created the recession. In terms of the banks, they are what essentially drives the majority of growth and the economy in the UK, we could have let them just fall to pieces, and then watched our ranking in the top 5 or 6 economies of the world slide out in the 20s or 30s...but hey people do not stop to really try and understand that.
  11. ...and like I said, we were not the largest trading country in the world as mentioned by Jewell. We were slipping at this point (actually read some of the links on wiki it will take you through this) and if we didn't join we would have been in serious trouble. Our trade prowess goes all the way back hundreds of years to the fact we were the king of the seas, moving trade globally utilising our expert seamanship. Its a bit more than that now, we had to move with the times in the 1970s and most experts agree that move back then ensured our position (although appreciate this is subjective) by being aligned with the bigger movers in the world economy.
  12. Apart from two major points: If the EU are so @*!# at getting trade agreements, how is an isolated UK going to fare? Isolated from who? We're voting to leave the EU, not move to Ganymede. ...and whats wrong with Ganymede!
  13. I agree on some points Jewell especially about papers printing what sells, but on many others its quite factually incorrect. The UK was not the biggest economy in 1970 pre-EU, both the US and USSR were bigger along with other European economies which were also bigger. If you read anything about the union at that point we were well known as the 'sick-man' of Europe. The colonies our trade was linked with were shrinking as Germany was recovering again to become an economic powerhouse. It made no sense to continue preferring to colonial trading when that was decreasing and Euro trade was flying - and as we see today, the EU bloc is the biggest trading bloc in the world. Of course business leaders want to stay, if it benefits them financially...why would you want to leave and potentially end up negatively impacting economic growth by damaging the growth of your business, which employees people, creates trade and ensures the country stays on a path of growth. Plenty of business leaders, of very influential companies, want to stay - its just nonsense I am afraid to think that they are just saying that for their own personal financial gain. The idea that ALL business ambassadors/leaders want to leave is quite frankly fantasy land...
  14. Who called you or accused you of being a racist? The easy card as far as I can see is when someone explains why it's somewhat naive to vote Leave on the basis of heavy immigration in a particular area, that then the comeback is "oh you think I'm racist that's what they all say when defending immigration" I have agreed, more than once, that being somewhere like Rochdale where more immigration will focus the vote on immigration (as reflected in the trash media like the mail today) but I find it such a shame people who feel so strongly about leaving and probably argue for hours as to leaving, don't spend ten minutes to try and understand the implications or the real issues. So a very real scenario, is we vote out, cost of living goes up, those immigrants in Rochdale are still there...will people accept the cost exchange of living to change immigration laws which they based their leave vote on, or will they blame the government for prices going up...I bet 99% of the time it's the latter. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. These could well suddenly go bang and become valuable, so many have almost pretty much had it and are being scrapped due to rusting issues.
  16. Never owned one but always had my eye on getting one at some point - my reading always seemed to come around to the big issue of checking for rust which kills these cars. The sills fill with water and they rot from the inside out, that one looks clean, make sure they havent sprayed over rust...
  17. The one you listed, has the central feed fuel tank, a definite must have for track use as these were famous for fuel cutting during hard cornering and fuel starvation where it collected on the side of the tank where the feed was not!
  18. They are a bit weird on there, I dared to say when I first joined that prices were higher than I expected...as you can imagine they went mental so tongue in cheek I said 'well its just a scrubbed out chassis' and of course the abuse started. One guy called me an effing this and that and told me to eff off...I then met him days later at a meet and he bricked himself, just walked up and shook him firmly by the hand and referenced his post, was a short fat pale skinned nerd with big framed glasses, if there was ever a stereotype of an internet keyboard warrior he was one. but there are some good guys on there, if Cliffe is still on it he is gold standard, I listened a lot to him!
  19. Found the roof ok, roll half off, pull out the two struts, stick them into the middle of the roof lining, roll the rest up. In reverse its just getting the edge to clip in and it all unrolls nicely. And the roof rolled up fits nicely onto the shelf behind the seats
  20. If you go for it, advise you go now, whilst we have a 'summer' ahead of us also prices tend to creep up as soon as the sun comes out... Its a different experience, you trade away the relative comfort and ease of driving of a GT car for a brutally fast lightweight sports car. I actually used mine all the time, added a few creature comforts like upgraded head unit, fixed the heater, installed a lining to the roof section etc which once you are in the car, is an ok place to be. You just need to learn a whole new way of how to get in and out of a car
  21. They seem to have a large budget, it doesn't seem like they spent much of it on episode 1...would be good to see some of their big road trips, stunts, some of the more insightful car reviews etc. Episode 1 was always going to be a bit of a grounding exercise, I thought it was a solid 6/10, happy to review on an ongoing basis - be foolish to not watch it at all when it has sports cars and the like being thrashed about based on one episode.
  22. I think like any larger organisation the same applies to the EU, things do not happen quickly, cost to implement change, more stakeholders means less likelihood to agree on complex issues... Any reform I think would be in the whole decision making process, red tape removal, speed to market of efficiency improvement in trade. The world economy is moving very fast now digitally, I think the EU needs to think how it runs with it.
  23. Celica GT4 FTW!
  24. Thanks both, very much appreciated. I was quite ignorant of MND until this, it is utterly devastating, that someone with no apparent previous health problems can degenerate in months and then be gone, and with no known cure at the moment its all about just how you make those months as pain free as possible.
  25. This time last year we had Top Gear and a fading 5th Gear...now we have Top Gear, Extra Gear and Grand Tour...win win in my eyes.
×
×
  • Create New...