-
Posts
14,064 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by coldel
-
Yes cannot see the point in 'resting' form and continuity is more important when playing games over a short period of time. And rest is relative, every other team is playing lots of games like us, they will be equally 'less rested' really we have to get our team playing together regularly so we get some momentum.
-
My mate is thinking of selling his RRS, think its a 56 plate also (on private plate) with 52k miles. Had £5k worth of driveshaft/suspension work done last year as well.
-
Well I guess you could say that the campaigns have at least been of the appropriate level for some of the public As the FTSE dropping was mentioned as an indication of how bad Brexit is for the economy, it's now bounced back up to 6220 (a huge gain of 199 points today), so does that mean that Brexit can now be seen as a good thing for the economy? It bounced back up on the news that another round of polls showed the Remain camp back in the lead after the 2 day break following the unfortunate death of an MP. I think both camps agree that financial markets will be hit if we vote out and during the time it takes to renegotiate, it has to. Financial markets do react so negatively to uncertainty, this will be an uncertain time for the UK.
-
Yes the Warsi thing is now what its all about (Farage probably grateful for it) although plenty of stories going around how apparently she has been disgruntled for ages, others saying she never attended a single leave meeting etc. etc. All about damage limitation at the moment from both sides. The whole campaign by both sides has been shocking, I think we had better more informed debates here, and we aren't the 'experts'. The sad thing is I read a couple of news stories on Sky News website over breakfast out of interest to see what 'the masses' were posting in the comments section and some of it is just so much utter garbage that they really shouldn't be allowed near a voting booth
-
Its such a shame that the actions of the minority reflect on the many, I know a few Russian people and have been over to Moscow for work reasons and all great people. Doesn't help with senior politicians condoning rioting though...
-
Followed by chairs and tear gas?
-
Farage's poster seems to have caused a lot of issues, bad move by him in the vital last days before the vote.
-
Congrats mate. A nicely stone chipped Zed for the event as well
-
Interestingly this feels like its going the way of the Scots vote - getting closer nearer the vote. I have been keeping more of an eye on the bookies now, they very rarely get it wrong, they put remain as favourites still...much closer than it was though.
-
Have enjoyed watching Iceland play - I think Albania are very under-rated, they have some very good players now and are a very competent team. The days of 6-0s are well and truly passed in European football unless you are playing San Marino etc. (even then they can get a few surprise results). Portugal have under achieved, again. France I expect to start to motor soon, they just need a consistent team selection, dropping 5 players last night was a mistake. As a West Ham fan somewhat concerned about how well Payet is playing, imagine the vultures are circling as we speak!
-
Took the Celica up there with Irn Bru and a load of other Zeds, can honestly say you would be gutted if you didn't have the Zed to take on the roads on Skye and off it...
-
...and that was the point I raised previously, engage with facts and draw your own conclusions. Posting up meme's, FB posts from randoms I have never heard of, propaganda videos from either side etc are really not worth considering. We are all going to make mistakes along the way but this is what this debate is about. I set out originally on the fence, for me it was never a decision on whether I should be in or out. We are currently in and our current financial situation shows us what being in is all about, its about convincing me to vote out with something that was plausible and had some planning with the risks associated with it - the Leave campaign have not done enough in my view to convince me to vote out. I guess however there are people (and certainly on this thread) who were always going to vote either way despite the facts put in front of them - and they are entitled to I guess but personally I was open to either route.
-
Shouldn't be posting that you break the law on an open forum banz... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Less said about UKIP supporters the better quite frankly! Most governments are swayed and listen to businesses and I doubt that many businesses in EU countries would be pleased if their governments made it hard for them to trade with the UK. We are worth too much to them...whether we are worth more to them than they are to us is immaterial really. The fact is we're important to them so why would they put that at risk? The import/export figures can be manipulated any way you like but again, as I said in my post: Of course, there is even a possibility that a vote out decision would spark serious debate across Europe and lead to a number of nations questioning their membership. This in turn could lead to the monumental reforms that I believe are necessary to make the EU what it should be. That's just speculation though and shouldn't really sway anyones decision... Either way, it makes for an interesting few months...because even a close vote to remain (which is likely) could spark some of the questions mentioned above! I think somewhere you are reading it wrong, UK exports to Germany and France alone are near our total exports to the US - then you have to add in the other 25 EU countries we export to. https://www.uktradei.../Pages/OTS.aspx The EU is and has been for some time our largest trading partner with around 45% of exports going to the EU, for the US to be a bigger export market it would literally have to be our only other trading partner and exclude BRIC, India, Oceanic countries etc. We are an important part of the EU I believe because of our financial services industry, that contributes hugely to our export business. Services are growing whilst physical goods shrink.
-
Yes the free movement issue isn't a big thing for me, but certainly for many a UKIP supporter it is the main reason to vote Leave. Although we can point to varying models, we are unique in that we are not an outside country organising a deal with the EU, we are part of the EU leaving and wanting to renegotiate. Although there is no place for grudges in business, I would imagine there could be a bit of 'well you left, don't expect any favours from us' and as mentioned we export more to the EU than they export to us - we have to play our cards right (and I do not trust the current government enough to go in with enough balls to do it).
-
It depends really on how the deals, markets etc react and what happens next. If we slip into a recession then it will affect everyone in the country for sure.
-
We buy more from the EU than we sell to them, its in their interest to maintain the status quo. https://www.uktradei.../Pages/OTS.aspx Our top export market isnt even in the EU, its America who we dont even have a trade deal with: http://www.telegraph...-the-eu-debate/ Although we buy more than we export to the EU, we are a much smaller as a percent. So from memory something like 45% of our exports go to the EU (around 15% to the US) but I have read it somewhere but its something like 15% of the EU export market is to the UK - we rely on them more than they rely on us.
-
I don't think I've read that. There's certainly been plenty of speculation about what kind of trade deals we'd get. The most likely outcome seems to be something like Norway, which basically means free trade but have to abide by the rules of the EU, so like I said nothing much would change. It wouldn't make sense for the EU to refuse any kind of trade deal. If you read the planning document by the Leave campaign you can see them leaning on the Canadian model not the Norway one tariff free on some markets but not in other like Finance. Interestingly though is that they are 'advising' the government on what to do, in actual fact the government could do anything it wants to do in terms of a trade model. Given our locality to Europe (unlike Canada) it is very likely I would think that movement of people would be in it.
-
Yes fair enough got that wrong on immigration counts...got a little carried away arguing all the points, of which I think many are very valid.
-
Maybe, although the European Court of Justice (which isnt the EU) has backed the UK with its view on 'right to reside' and not paying non working EU immigrants benefits - although that really is a small win financially as just something like 10% of all immigrants claim out of work benefits. But it shows the UK can challenge and win against the EU utilising the European Courts. That said, if we exit, we will likely have this as a major concession thrown at us in any trade deals. We might get a tariff free approach as adopted by Canada but have to take the EU freedom of movement and benefits as a requirement. This is a grey area it might or might not happen, what is certain is that voting out does not guarantee that we can control this area, if it is included in the subsequent trade deals.
-
As I said, low skilled immigration is not a single issue - nearly 40% are skilled. So yes my argument still stands, the reason to be motivated is the same as everyone else's. If that % was 95/5 then I would agree with you, but clearly its not. I also didn't say lets welcome migrants and to sort out lazy people - why you put that in a quote I am not sure as clearly I said nothing of the sort which is in plain view above. I said I am not so concerned about immigrants as I am about people that were born here and choose not to work. People born here clearly have the advantage, they speak the native language fluently, they have residential status etc. That already puts them in a better position for a job if thats the point. There are people I understand that apply every week and struggle because of geographic issues i.e. jobs to number of people, and there I can see an issue. However plenty sit and do nothing in London and Essex for example where work is certainly more gettable. You cannot paint a single picture that immigration makes it more difficult for all currently out of work lower skilled people. And it is not a single issue for them as per my reason above.
-
But you are inferring that lazy people are low skilled, otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question. If they were not, then they wouldn't have a concern about low skilled immigration because they wouldn't compete. Immigration has been a constant for decades, the level we are at now we were at back in the 70s. This is not some new phenomena that the Leave campaign would have you believe. People back in the 70s got jobs in low skilled areas, so why not now? The job I am in now, is highly qualified, so yes I am not in that position. But I do know that I was the only British born person in the final interviews, also within my team of 12, half are British born. These are all at least degree educated people doing what would be deemed 'higher skilled' work competing 1:1 with immigrants. The idea that immigration is a thing that low skilled people have to deal with exclusively is quite frankly rubbish. So in answer to your question, the reason they should be motivated is the same as every other person in this country - that you look to achieve something and do it off your own back. Immigration is not a single issue for those at the bottom of the pay scale - if we all took that attitude the country would fall over.
-
You assume lazy people are low wage and low skilled then? Assumptions aside, if we do believe low wages are such an issue, thats why the minimum wage was brought in. If immigrants are working for cash in hand for lower than that then thats a failing of the state to legislate and control it, thats not an immigration issue (as people born and bred here were doing the same as well before the minimum wage). You cannot create a government policy on immigration on the back of people taking cash in hand. The problem I see for what you might deem the 'lazy' is that they believe they are worth so much more, but do nothing to prove that. I was between jobs a couple of years back and whilst applying for jobs went and volunteered in local schools to help out in classrooms for free - I actually got a job out of it. Not saying I personally am wonderful which I am certainly not, but there is work, you just need to dig deep and go get it.
-
I have an aunt and uncle, he worked until he was 25 then got a back injury that prevented him ever working again. They are retired now with a house paid for by the state, they own an immaculate Harley Davidson bikes which they go out on biking tours. Having grown up watching those two - I am very much in the least worried about immigrants coming here and getting some of our own people off their lazy backsides. But then again, no one is allowed to say that about 'our' people.
-
Because hes been happy to distance himself from politics/elections and how we chose to live our lives until this point, and its only now that something may impact him in Luxemberg that hes suddenly interested in UK affairs? I'm sorry if this is not accurate but its how it comes over from reading the posts here on the forum which is all i can form an opinion on. My point being that the Leave campaign have leaned on immigration (and many people on FB have mentioned it overtly) as a reason to leave - because they believe in the power of those born here - why is it because RS hasnt been here for last decade his right to decide on the UK when also being born here doesn't apply? Its basically making a hypocrisy of the immigration argument, that they say being born here gives you the right - when in fact what its really about, is paying in. So my argument above, those born here and never paid in we take their vote away right? And those that were born in the UK lived in the UK and worked every day of their lives here, retired and moved to Spain ten years ago, they don't get a say?