Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. So it was a good idea to vote yourself out the EU and risk that market? In any case, I am now sat here with the live feed on sky news and the Labour party, what an utter farce! This graphic just shows how little faith his own cabinet had in him http://news.sky.com/story/1718067/corbyn-clings-on-defiantly-as-mps-jump-ship
  2. So does that mean our EU market is much more important than it ever was?
  3. Its again a good point, although a quick google shows some intervention was going on in terms of meeting certain targets so it was deliberately deflated (even though the Japanese markets at the time were booming)
  4. But it has to as they are ultimately pegged to each other - compare it to the dollar or the yen for example where no such tie exists and its around 15% down on average and could well fall further.
  5. "Politicians with personal career advancement agendas in broken promises shocker" Who would have thought it...
  6. Yes thats a good point, we asked for money also as gifts, we lived in a one bed flat in Putney, we didnt need a tonne of stuff at the time! Monetary gifts took a huge chunk out the cost.
  7. Its a good point, I think most Stays voted with an economic hat on and those voting Leave voted with a political hat on. When I asked a Leave person why he voted out he ran off a well rehearsed line about wanting to vote against Feudalism in the EU. When asked what it was about this that impacted him so badly that he felt that putting so much at risk was worth it he couldn't really go that one level deeper. Clearly he felt vexed by it, which he has every right to, and in some cases I do you step back and go 'what on earth are they doing that for' but he seemed unwilling to engage with the risks that came with it.
  8. I think given the emotive thoughts around it, I think its still quite civil? It would be a shame to lock as there will be some real unraveling in the next couple of weeks which will shape the future of the UK.
  9. Next two days will make or break Corbyn, that said look at who has come out in support, all the Unions - they love a far leftie detatched from reality...
  10. I guess my fear is that we end up in 2025 where we are now, regulated by EU legislation (as Norway are) but with no say in its creation. Norway have to lobby Sweden regularly to bring their voice to the table to try and influence EU policy making on issues that affect them, that does not feel like a good future for me.
  11. All that makes sense Rich, the very real danger is that foreign investment disappears in the meantime whilst we drag our heels. They then set up somewhere else, and that foreign investment is never brought back. 75% of our exports are services, whilst we are in this state of uncertainty we are putting all that at risk. Personally I think get it moving and get it sorted to minimise the disruption, otherwise we might well lose some huge corporations from the UK that we will not ever recover.
  12. The banking institutions are absolutely right to start planning. As most outside the EU operate on 'passporting' which means they need a 'head office' within the EU area to allow free trade of services across the EU. They originally chose the UK due to our geographic location i.e. close to US and Far East and our strong financial services background etc. If we do not negotiate a deal that allows that relationship with the EU to continue then they have to consider shifting business elsewhere, its very uncertain times for our financial sector. It really isn't about lower cost as far as I can see for many banking organisations.
  13. 0-0 and penalties?
  14. I think there is no doubt some Leave votes came about based on racist views, I don't think any of us should deny that. It is going to be a small percentage but it will certainly have happened. No we shouldn't re-run it, but I cannot believe there were no hard and fast rules announced beforehand, a result of 51.8 vs 48.2 is so marginal you could imagine if we ran this again tomorrow remain could quite possibly win. The government should have said it has to be at least X percent clear with at least X percent turning out. So as Bockaark has said it is now all of our responsibility to not only get on with this but hold all the Leave campaigners responsible to follow through on their commitments they made. That includes spending on the NHS, removal of VAT on energy etc.
  15. Classic Robot Wars scene from Spaced
  16. The markets in most major countries pumped money into the system - they had a plan based on previous crashes and enacted it Friday morning. If they had allowed things to just 'go with it' no doubt the pound would have disappeared from existence, it was artificially kept afloat. To the point above about long term, a couple of things. Firstly that many leavers seem to believe that 2 years is the defined length of pain, so you can see they havent read in to this at all - 2 years is the length of time we have been told to sort out the exit, its not a defined length of time for a recession. Secondly longer term could mean companies exiting the UK if we enter the WTO model or that we do not negotiate a great deal with the EU - so long term yes we could see less foreign investment. Is that a given? Of course not, but its a real and huge risk. Many leavers talk about a prosperous long term as a certainty, there is the real possibility that we end up just as constrained by European law as we a week ago - but with our economy instead of recovering in fact being sat on its backside.
  17. Yes we spent a fair amount on Honeymoons! Antalya and Rome - brilliant.
  18. Hazard looks like the best player on the planet at the moment!
  19. I agree, its not b0110cks its real and you could easily argue that its enough that it isn't a tiny minority that have no impact on the overall result. I am actually now spending the evening watching the updates on the Labour party (whilst watching Belgium Hungary cracking game!) - I suspected Corbyn had to go. Ridiculous that the UK turned its back on 'Ed the Red' and Labour put in an even more left person like Corbyn. Then seeing him literally do nothing to support the EU in (which Labour want) vote. I would actually vote Labour at the next election if Hilary Benn was in...
  20. For our wedding I proposed at a Chateau in the Loire Valley (we were living in Paris at the time) - we got married when we got back to the UK so we organised three events: 1. Had a registry office event which 20 friends and family attended followed by some food in a restaurant (floating restaurant on the Thames) we funded 2. Took immediate family (ten of us) to the Chateau in France I proposed in for a blessing and lots of wine 3. Hired a big pub in Putney Heath and invited everyone we knew So we had three events over the space of one month. Total cost around the £8k mark all in. We got a pro photographer when in France (cost 350 Euros for about 200 photos!) but otherwise relied on other people. Our friend did the cake on the Putney party. My parents paid for coaches to ferry people over to SW London (most of my family are in Essex).
  21. I went to an indian wedding a couple of years back, was bloody AWESOME! Must have been 600 people there, we had a great curry too!
  22. And this is why I could not bring myself to vote Leave https://youtu.be/HNe-yHr7uJc The leave campaigners are responsible for the economic vandalism of this country for the next few years with no willingness to engage with the consequences of what they promoted.
  23. This was an economic vote, not an immigration vote (as mentioned previously immigration will still happen in any trade model we adopt like Norway) - but I bet those same people you mention MrLee would be disgusted if you called them racist. Lets not kid ourselves, there are some very nasty and undesirable people that voted out, but also some who genuinely thought they were doing the right thing. When I got my cars geo done at the weekend I was in the waiting room watching TV with one of the staff there, Brexit was on the news, he said he voted Leave because 'I am fine with taking 1 or 2 years of tough living so that my daughter when she leaves uni in 2 years can get a job without worrying about all those immigrants' - this is the ridiculous feeling that we have going on en-masse here in the UK.
  24. Its a good question Banz - when Farage thought they had narrowly lost on Thursday night he said they had lost the battle but the war would go on. What did he mean by that? How could he win his ultimate goal of leaving the EU if that referendum was the one and only opportunity to do that? I presume he believed that UKIP could actually win an general election? If it had been the other way around, we would have stayed in and I would imagine we would have Leave campaigners whinging and asking for another vote just like they are accusing remainers now. But I imagine we could have taken a load of collateral to the EU and really hammered home that some reform is required. As it is, they look to be reforming anyway, just without us having a say in it now, so we have any reform and regulation passed to us in future without our influence at the table.
  25. All the talk from businesses removing jobs from the UK was to be expected (from those who cared to try and understand what exit meant anyway) which is exactly why the Boris idea of 'lets take our time' is so ridiculous and shows how cut off from the implications of this decision this buffoon is. The longer we sit in this space of uncertainty the more risky it is to our industries, we have to get this sorted as soon as possible. I really do despair at how poorly prepared and how utterly uninspiring the politicians in the leave camp are now, amateurish at best and moronic at worst.
×
×
  • Create New...