Fuel Pump Questions

SiriusProjects

Hi All,

Currently I am currently trying to diagnose a problem with my zed. Two people who have looked at it seem to think the same, that it may well be a fuelling issue, so I have a couple of questions.

The zed in question is a 350Z GT4 (2005).

1. What would the symptoms be if the fuel pump starts getting lazy and isn't delivering the fuel correctly?

2. How much would a new fuel pump be?

3. Where exactly is the fuel pump located and is it a big job to get at it and replace?

4. If it is a fuel issue, is there anything else that is worth checking as well?

Thanks.

Fuel pump is just behind drivers seat behind the sub. Just pop the cover off and unbolt the sub and thinks it's 10ml or 8ml bolts.

The rubber seals go a lot on them once you have the pump out so replace that if you're replacing the pump. 10 quid from Nissan. Doubtless cheaper online.

If your pump isn't working properly it might emit a whine.

Also you'd be running lean. Loss of power as I guess the ECU would retard things a little.

What symptoms you having?

No worries.

It's frustrating not being able to immediately diagnose a fault. It's just a process of elimination.

I had a faulty coil pack that caused hesitation and intermittent juddering and poor performance.

If it's your pump let me know. I have my old one in the cellar.

Thanks TT350,

Is the fuel pump easy to get to and is it a long job to fit a replacement?

The fuel pump as Ricky said is in the fuel tank. It's actually in what's called the fuel bucket.

About half way down this page linked is a "fuel pump installation": http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/fuel_pump_install/

Fyi a new OEM fuel pump would probably only be around £30-£50 tops I'd have thought.

My uprated one was only £60 but they can run up to & well over £100 odd.

Fuel pump O-ring here: http://www.clarkmotorsport.co.uk/parts/Fuel-Pump-O-Ring/17342-01A00

Maybe worth asking Clark Motorsport about the pump too. :thumbs:

• Like 1

As above Re-the fuel pump, but those symptoms could be caused by a lot things.

Any ECU codes?

Clean air filter?

Clean MAF?

Checked spark plugs and coil packs?

Any sign of being rich or lean on your spark plugs?

When do you get this problem? All the time? certain rev range? full throttle or part throttle?

I'm not getting any ECU Codes. Air Filter has been cleaned and a new MAF has been installed.

Not checked the spark plugs or coil packs yet. Car is going in for a service next week anyway, so will get the garage to replace the plugs and check the coil packs at the same time.

I don't get the problem when the car is stationary and idling. The problem becomes obvious when the car is being driven. It's okay for say 5/6 miles but any further than that and the car starts feeling a bit lumpy and I begin to feel slight hesitations every now and then and when I put my foot down it just feels like it's down on power.

Sounds like it could be a coil pack or plug breaking down as it warms up. I would start there and see how it goes.

If you still suspect fuel pump, as tricky says - check the fuel pressure before you go swapping things.