Advice on JDM Import

Ricki

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie, in the hunt for my first 350z.... just need to get rid of my old car now!

I am strongly considering importing as there is a good difference in price, and have read-up the differences between UK and JDM imports. I was just wondering if anyone has any information on doing any of the following:

-Where to get a UK style rear bumper to fit a UK plate on the back, how much and is this actually possible to have fitted?

-Anyone know where I can get the mileage counter changed to Miles and not km? I know the SVA does the MPH but not the total mileage.

-Anyone got any info on getting the 112 maximum speed lifted? Can I do this myself or will I need to get a garage involved?

-Does the Sat Nav & Tv actually work on the 2003/4 models? Anyway of making it work?

-Anyone got any advice for importing from Japan? Is it worth the hassle??

Thanks for your time!

Ricki

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie, in the hunt for my first 350z.... just need to get rid of my old car now!

I am strongly considering importing as there is a good difference in price, and have read-up the differences between UK and JDM imports. I was just wondering if anyone has any information on doing any of the following:

-Where to get a UK style rear bumper to fit a UK plate on the back, how much and is this actually possible to have fitted?

-Anyone know where I can get the mileage counter changed to Miles and not km? I know the SVA does the MPH but not the total mileage.

-Anyone got any info on getting the 112 maximum speed lifted? Can I do this myself or will I need to get a garage involved?

-Does the Sat Nav & Tv actually work on the 2003/4 models? Anyway of making it work?

Thanks for your time!

Ricki

:welcome::thumbs:

I'll see if i can answer your questions. Plenty of people will be along to add to my points/correct them :lol: :

-You can get a rear bumper from nissan directly and IIRC they don't cost too much, about £200 I think but then you have to get it painted. Keep a look out on ebay as sometimes they crop up on there from time to time.

-I don't think the mileage counter can be changed. I think it can be changed to record miles or km's. For example, and i may be wrong, my understanding was that if a JDM lands here with 10,000 km's on the clock it then gets converted to miles. Once the clock hits, say 20k, that would then be 10,000km's plus 10,000 miles so you would have to convert the 10k km's to miles to reveal the true mileage. Can any JDM owner confirm this or not?

-The 112 limit can be taken off with a HKS speed limiter thingymagig. PM Bigphil about one of these. i think they cost about £200. there are a couple of versions to cover manuals and auto's so makesure you get the right one for your car.

- Satnav and TV will work. In Japan. As soon as it lands in the uk it will be disfunctional. Usually only the screen is usable.

-Importing is worth the hassle if you don't mind no warranty, have a budget of less than £14k and don't mind waiting a couple of months.

Hope this helps.

Sarnie the helpful

:)

Sarnie, you're one of the originals! I've met you, you're a good bloke, you now drive an even more awesome car, and you are still contributing.

How can someone not like that, unless it was personal?

:group:

Apparently I'm like marmite, you either love me or hate me :lol::lol::lol:

In real life only have one head too contrary, to some rumours :lol:

Cheers Sarnie! I will look out for some bumpers right away. I think I have found the 350 I want, as it has already been imported into the UK. Just need to seal the deal this week! And unfortunately.... the budget option is crucial, as I am just 22 so insurance isn't the cheapest! Managed to get it down to £1,250 with Elephant!

Don't suppose anyone knows if the imports come with alaram/imobilser? Don't think they do......

If you are buying one that has already been imported then it will have already been through SVA and have a Cat1 alarm fitted and a fog light conversion etc. However, if you go down the route of bringing one over then I wouldn't attempt to do it yourself, I would use an importer and have the whole package done for you. I wouldn't necessarily say that changing the bumper was a necessity but shouldn't be too tricky.

Thanks for your time!

Ricki

i think if you have a bugdet less than £14k as prev mentioned then an import is the way to go, just make sure you look at a few as there are some real bad examples out there, just as there are uk models i'm sure.

Anyone that says an import is not as good as a UK car is talking out of their a*s!

I put a deposit on a Z & waited 6 weeks only to be told i could not have the car once it arrived in the UK as the dealer had noticed the car had been re-sprayed so could not confirm the car had never been in an accident...gutted! However 2 weekes & hours of looking at 350's I ended up buying one that was already in the UK- this took a lot of the hassle out of finding my car.

As for Insurance, i am only 24 & i pay just £600 to insure mine!

PM me, i work in insurance so will help you get your premium down :thumbs:

Cheers Sarnie! I will look out for some bumpers right away. I think I have found the 350 I want, as it has already been imported into the UK. Just need to seal the deal this week! And unfortunately.... the budget option is crucial, as I am just 22 so insurance isn't the cheapest! Managed to get it down to £1,250 with Elephant!

Don't suppose anyone knows if the imports come with alaram/imobilser? Don't think they do......

Add your mum or girlfriend to the policy, reduces it quite a bit usually :thumbs:

Thanks! Yeah, I was hoping to get a garage to fit the bumper so it looked more like a UK model. I have also purchased a 350z badge to replace the "fairlady" one that comes with the JDM imports. It's not that I don't like the Japanese style... its just that I don't want everybody to see that I'm a cheap-skate! (even though it's true!).

Thanks for the info on the alarm... just need to find a way round getting the tv/dvd player working now!

All Zs are built in Japan, so imports are almost exactly the same as UK cars.

If the conversion is done properly, the speedo should read and record in miles and mph thereafter.

The only reason for installing a speed limit defencer is if you intend using the car on a race track. You won't need to for everyday driving.

Why bother changing the rear bumper - nobody will notice when they are taking in the superb lines of the rest of the car anyway. :thumbs:

Hi Ricky and welcome to the site :thumbs:

Owning an import doesn't mean your a cheap skate, as there are plenty of guys on here that own one. Try and keep some money on the side to do a few mods when you get it ie:- popcharger, grounding kit, plenum spacer, zorst any many more :teeth: