To buy or not - Cheap 2003 silver Z 86k with engine fault

bluefrog

If its a "cheap and easy" fix, why isnt the seller doing it themselves? Always walk unless youre getting shedloads off the price :)

Yeah... I'm going off the whole idea tbh. I think there's a more serious problem and he just wants rid of it :(

Bradders, cheers for the links, are they from a facebook owners group?

Anyone who doesn't know about Zeds will not like the idea of buying one with the EML. If the reason for it is just the O2 sensors due to the HFCs it really is no big deal at all. We all know that, but convincing a potential buyer with limited knowledge is a pain in the arse. I have my EML up at the moment and i'm not selling it until I get it sorted (uprev). Alright, it's going to cost me £400 just so I can sell it on but it is what it is.

From my experience id say it just needs the cats replacing. The MOT regs now are quite tight with emissions and I have heard of several people failing MOT`s on emissions with HFC, so that along with the O2 warning codes seems (to me) to be just down to the cats.

As strange as it may seem, some sellers just cant be bothered, and if they want to sell the car, dont see the point in forking out 650quid odd to have new cats fitted - ecu reset - maybe an MOT if its not already got one due to emissions. Even though if they did all that, chances are it would sell quicker & easier.

Still, my rule is that if in doubt just walk. Plenty of more cars out there.

It's. 2003 so it should be cheep to start with without the problems... So many cheep 2003s that don't have problems. Pride in ownership and I would not present this car to someone I would get it fixed and charge 600 extra so it's something more serious disguised as minor one in my opinion I would not touch it why risk it

Thank you all for your very helpful advice on this...

I was in the Coventry area looking at another car, so contacted the seller and went round for a butchers. In general the car didn't look too bad, save for a weird 'smooth' dent on rear n/s (?) Seemed to drive ok, although the clutch felt a bit weird to me, not too heavy but there was a strange vibration going through my foot! Haven't driven that many so not sure if this is something to worry about or not. Wheels in need of a refurb, one of the fronts had a slight dent in the rim...

The seller explained he'd had some worrying enquiries from people on ebay, so was intending to either replace the cats & re-advertise, or change the description to 'spares or repairs'. I think it's provisionally sold now anyway...

But! I've just spotted this (hope the link works): http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201506094178063/usedcars

Was for sale on auto trader a few weeks ago, looked suspiciously cheap :-\ It disappeared for a while & now back up for sale... Not sure what the story is there, but I thought it might be worth a look at least. Apparently comes with FSH, some Nissan. I assumed it was a repossession but apparently they took it in part exchange.

Here I go again :wacko:

Sounds to me like the cats are fine and just need heated up before running the test. HFC's are well known for failing emissions tests, but they tend to run more efficiently when hot. Mitz will know this and maybe told the guy to take it for a run and take it back, but the car needs ragged pretty hard to get the heat into the cats to pass.