piggy back ecu. whats the deal??

zebedy

Ok ive seen alot of these on ebay for fifty quid or so. They trick the ecu into thinking the cold air is colder than what it is thus tricking the ecu into shooting more juice. Now dont get me wrong i have no intetest in sticking one of these on risking f?ing up my ecu. So do these actually work??? Some claim up to 15bhp which i cant beleive. Anyone used one or have experience on more expensive piggy back systems.

Mighty car mods did a test on one of these chips a while ago, they got a electronic engineer to see what it actually did and it literally did nothing, there was a dummy chip and all it really did was light up a LED.

Mighty car mods did a test on one of these chips a while ago, they got a electronic engineer to see what it actually did and it literally did nothing, there was a dummy chip and all it really did was light up a LED.

this is part true true, i saw that episode - correct outcome but that wasnt a piggyback, that was a resistor chip :thumbs:

ebady, if you have to ask if it works, then it probably doesnt work.

I have used a piggyback system on a previous project because i cut a corner going for a full aftermarket ECU (the car in question wasnt remappable, engine mappers couldnt get into the box). A piggyback is generally limited to what it can adjust. essentially it falsifies sensor data to adjust the resident ECUs behaviour. i beleive some newer products like SMT-8 ( i think it was 8?) can do a bit more. but they are generally only of any use if you cant map the resident ECU

... on Zeds, we can. so piggybacks dont have any use or function that make them worth the time and effort.

Not entirely true bud. I run haltech platinum pro due to the restriction with uprev and nitrous. I already had uprev on my car but without an aftermarket ECU I would need to run a retarded timing map constantly with the nos. With the aftermarket it only retards when firing

Yes i was. Fifty quid jobbies. Like i said. Wouldnt touch em with a bargepole. I know that paying 300 quid plus on one is a different game alltogether.

Just 2 totally different things mate. The 50 quid jobs are as said above basically a resistor that does lash all.

I have had the Unichip done to my 04 GT. I gained 15 bhp and 20 torque. Feels better. Easier. Less strain. And feels alot less strain at higher speeds.

This was done by a reputable tuner in my area who is very well known and he was happy and so was I. Different people say different things. Even with the Uprev alot say they feel no difference so who knows.