Ball joint spinning :( :(

Marti350z

Right guys, I'm replacing my lower arm on the front passenger side, the bushes in mine were totaled. Ended up picking one up with new bushes in, problem is, trying to get the old ball joint nut off is proving harder than I thought, the bolt started to but now is just spinning, I've tried using a jack to put load on the ball joint, but nothing? It seams people online suggest impact guns? My question is would a electric impact gun do the same? As I can go buy one, also any other ideas? Kinda stuck and the misses is tired of me using her Z4 :L

Cheers guys

I just dropped the car down with the wheel on managed to squeeze under the car to try undo it and it's still spinning! I would of thought with the weight of the car surely that should be enough load,no? Absolute Pain, really stuck :/

Mine was spinning just like yours i undid it about two turns and it kept spinning . I just got a long breaker bar and wedged it at the back of the arch (watching out for pipes ect make sure u put it on solid metalwork).

I literally pushed down as hard as i could on top off the ball joint end while someone undid the nut. Doing this will push the taper of the ball joint down into the hub and stopping it from spinning.

Also try cleaning the threads up before removing the nut too so its easier to undo.

Hope this helps

Place a piece of measured wood between the top suspension turret and the ball joint.

Jack car up from the lower suspension which in turn will jam the wood and stop the BJ from spinning.

Has worked for me over 100 times using this method with the aid of a Snap On impact gun.

Alex. :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Place a piece of measured wood between the top suspension turret and the ball joint.

Jack car up from the lower suspension which in turn will jam the wood and stop the BJ from spinning.

Has worked for me over 100 times using this method with the aid of a Snap On impact gun.

Alex. :)

Just to boost this thread.. a +1 for Zmanalex here..

I just used this technique for trapping the spinning comp arm ball joint bolt - worked a treat :thumbs: I used a 19mm ring spanner for the nut and small bottle jack for the suspension lift.

I must be relatively lucky with the general state of my arms though - after being initially a bit sticky, by-hand application of a G clamp to the comp arm bush end at various rotations persueded the whole thing down the stud without too much drama. Rotating the clamp and lots of ferrosol stopped the sleeve binding (I could feel when it wanted to go no further etc, but could feel and watch for any movement). Left side looked like a crusty old stud after the arm was off, although they clean up fairly nicely. Bonzer.