Battery Isolator/Kill Switch

HaydnH

Has anybody fitted a battery isolator/kill switch to their Z? Getting fed up of going through batteries due to not using the Z and would prefer a proper switch to a manual battery disconnect. If so, any photos or products you'd recommend that require little to now fitting?

On a side note, is there any way to disable the Bose Stereo's theft protection code? I get tired of having to enter the code everytime I start the car. ;)

Thanks,

Haydn.

I know it's not the answer to your question, but have you thought about a solar panel to just keep it topped up?

I've used one for about a year now, with my car in the garage and the panel just pointing towards a window it's enough to keep the battery tip top. And of course you won't be resetting your radio and ecu every time you disconnect.

• Like 2

I'm thinking of getting one of these, looks like there should be room for it:

http://www.amazon.co...attery isolator

With the above, you will still get a flat battery as its designed to allow the alarm to still get power but not start the car.

The black wire in the picture would normally remain connected allowing a small current to the alarm etc.

Solar panel (as above) or a battery charger/ conditioner are better options.

You could get a more powerful battery too.

I drive my zed about once every 3 weeks in winter to "blow out the cobwebs" so to speak and had so many problems in the past but not since I over specced my battery to the monster Bosch S5 008 battery. It's a tight fit but everything attaches as per OEM. The car restart even after 4weeks dormant and has full volts every time unlike my M3 which needs to be on a trickle charger if I wouldn't not drive it for a week!

You could get a more powerful battery too.

I drive my zed about once every 3 weeks in winter to "blow out the cobwebs" so to speak and had so many problems in the past but not since I over specced my battery to the monster Bosch S5 008 battery. It's a tight fit but everything attaches as per OEM. The car restart even after 4weeks dormant and has full volts every time unlike my M3 which needs to be on a trickle charger if I wouldn't not drive it for a week!

In reverse order, the last time I drove my car was Supercar Siege (~100miles, May), XMas (~60miles, Dec), Bedfords (~200miles, Aug)... I don't think a bigger battery will help. :lol:

My work van has one, which is handy because the tracker has a habit of draining the battery. In the past 2 years it must have saved me from about 40 jump starts.

I have a tracker on the Z, I think being in an underground car park makes it even worse as I guess it keeps trying to find a GPS signal?

I know it's not the answer to your question, but have you thought about a solar panel to just keep it topped up?

I've used one for about a year now, with my car in the garage and the panel just pointing towards a window it's enough to keep the battery tip top. And of course you won't be resetting your radio and ecu every time you disconnect.

This sounds interesting - any suggestions on a good one?

My work van has one, which is handy because the tracker has a habit of draining the battery. In the past 2 years it must have saved me from about 40 jump starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's something wrong with your tracker then.

There's something wrong with your tracker then.

Why do you say that Graham? It would be a pretty pointless tracker if it didn't track the car when it's turned off, you could just load a car on a lorry and drive off with it. So it has to drain to some degree.

• 1 month later...