Need another car, but what?

Joeycuz

Hi guys, as title says I'm looking for a second car but struggling to decide what would be best.

Need something big enough to carry two dogs (Choc lab & pug) :) but not a huge 4x4 as my girlfriend has only recently passed her test. I bought her a little clip to learn in but obviously it's too small to transport dogs in the back.

I've been looking at afew different motors but thought I would ask on here for reccomendations.

Got a budget of around 5-6k, prefer diesel.

I briefly owned a focus estate afew years ago. It was my neighbours car and I reversed into it! Rather than go through insurance I just bought it off them lol. Both party's happy :) ended up going to Liverpool and back (600 mile round trip) through a safari park, and finally sold it and made a profit. Bit of topic but thought I would share. That's on the list :)

Skoda Octavia estate, just got one and is endless fun. Aberdeen to Bristol on one tank of fuel and the dog has more than enough space in the back (too much if you ask me!)

My brother has one of these and he fits an Alsatian and a lab in the back comfortably. He has the VRS version so it's not too boring :lol:

Rav4 3rd edition - look at 56 plate onwards. My Mrs has one - it's absolutely fantastic. Ours is petrol, 30mpg not bad but it's a brilliant all rounder, bomb proof and fantastic in the snow! Flown through MOT's 3 years on the run now. Perfect for our dog in the boot, you'll easily get 2 medium size dogs in there. Rear seats drop down and great for skip runs. They see to be holding their price as well. It'll be a sad day when we move on from it as Mrs keeps hinting for an Evoque.

Looks better than an estate as well ;) and you'll stay Japanese.

Thanks for all the suggestions, RAV4 does look interesting, the Subaru is lovely but too expensive for me.

Been looking at the ford Kuga's as well but have to see what the gf thinks as she would be driving it most of the time.

Had a Kuga as a hire car last year - I was looking forward to driving it as I liked the looks, but then hated the drive - very wallowy.

If your buying from a dealer ask if you can put dogs in boot try for size etc, if not then walk away.

By the way, if you do go and look at the Rav4's and it has a spare fixed to the boot dont be put off that the door only opens 1/2 way which makes it awkward in getting stuff in the boot. There's a mod that you can install which extends the opening and let's you open the door fully. Hard to explain but's it's on the forums.

my mum bought a mini clubman s works last year and asked if she could put her dogs in the boot, the dealer said yes that was fine so she went and got them. You should have seen his face when a huge labradoodle and a tiny shi tpoo (Half shih tzu half toy poodle!) bounded round the corner :lol:

I second the Focus estate option. Great chassis dynamic so close to the hatch it's barely distinguishable.

Cheap to maintain and two a penny. I've owned several focuses since they were launched and every one bar a useless ST170 was brilliant.

By the way, if you do go and look at the Rav4's and it has a spare fixed to the boot dont be put off that the door only opens 1/2 way which makes it awkward in getting stuff in the boot. There's a mod that you can install which extends the opening and let's you open the door fully. Hard to explain but's it's on the forums.

I also think Rav4. Petrol rather than diesel. My wife has a 2nd edition in 3 door and its fab car to own and drive, but definable not too large. Your dogs will have plenty of headroom rather than be crammed into an estate.

NWZ - would love to get the door to open fully but can't find any reference to this - can you point me in the right direction? I'd love to be able to transport more stuff in there but can't get it past the half-open boot door!