Silvia S14a / S15

stevie_350z

I'm looking for a 5K track / anything car. My requirements are simple: bit of speed, RWD, cheap enough so I won't be losing a pile of cash if I total it. It also needs to be usable around town, so nothing hardcore. It also needs to be a well known, well understood car.

So, after looking at old VWs (cheap, ubiquitous, fast) I realised I don't want a FWD, I really want a RWD.

That led me to the ol' Sylvia 200SX / S14a / S15...

...I've been scouring the net for tidbits and it really seems to be the right kind of car.

I reckon there are some previous/current Sylvia owners on here - anyone?

I would love some notes on their experience (good, bad etc) and tips (what to look for that is good, bad etc).

Anyone? :-)

Sweet... I'm hoping to see a couple this week... taking my bud along who is a tuning nutcase... he even disassembles ECUs like on the Scuby.

Here's what he sent me when I was emailing him about him coming along:

"I *think* those run a JECS ecu, based on a MELPS7700 cpu. Decoding the rom shouldn’t be too hard if it is MELPS7700. I even wrote my own disassembler J J. I speak 7700 fluently ;) "

Nutter

Sweet... I'm hoping to see a couple this week... taking my bud along who is a tuning nutcase... he even disassembles ECUs like on the Scuby.

Here's what he sent me when I was emailing him about him coming along:

"I *think* those run a JECS ecu, based on a MELPS7700 cpu. Decoding the rom shouldn’t be too hard if it is MELPS7700. I even wrote my own disassembler J J. I speak 7700 fluently ;) "

Nutter

Err i know subaru's ecu's arent the easiest to crack, so why hasnt this guy had a go at the 350z ecu????????????????? he'd make a killin on here..

s14/15 sounds like a great starting car. You'll need to keep that back end pinned down though.

Could always get a skyline GT-S (i think) or similar, plenty of tuning stuff for them too. Although id guess the SX would be lighter.

S15 will be awesome, however have you thought of an old - dare i say it - BMW 3 series? Cheap and chips and with a few modifications its kind of fast, and RWD :teeth:

I was thinking about that on the post before, however the engine on the s15 is easier to tune, especially with it having a turbo.

S15 will be awesome, however have you thought of an old - dare i say it - BMW 3 series? Cheap and chips and with a few modifications its kind of fast, and RWD :teeth:

I was thinking about that on the post before, however the engine on the s15 is easier to tune, especially with it having a turbo.

That is true to be honest.

Stick with the S14, cheaper, easy to tune and lots of people know what to do with them :thumbs:

Youv've probably pick the the best option but just to throw a few more in the mix..

Sierra Cosworth - kev could help here

RX-7 - twin turbo, light, plenty of tuning potential although not sure on reliability and running costs.

But then you can add MG F/TF or a Mazda MX-5 and tune them? There is a huge list so best to decide on exactly what you want to do.

You know you want RWD, but why is that? Is it more for fun or is there a reason as to why you want that?

Yep, that was considered... but I'm not a fan of beemers... also, one of my requirements is a bit of uniqueness - I'm still an ASW at heart!

:lol:

Yep, that was considered... but I'm not a fan of beemers... also, one of my requirements is a bit of uniqueness - I'm still an ASW at heart!

:lol:

Good man, Celica??

Thanks for the input, lads. I've been on sxoc, and I think my budget/requirements are definitely S14A, not S15. I want to keep to the 5K mark so if it all goes wrong, say at the Nurburgring, then I'm not too much out of pocket.

I will want to tart this bitch up tho, so a respray + decals is on the cards! Leave the Z stock :)

Dont listen to all these naysayers - a sorted S14(a) is faaar better than any of this BMW/Lotus/AE86 rubbish. Ive had an S14, 2 S13's and 2 S12's and Im a moderator and 15K+ poster on SXOC so I kinda a know a bit about them :D

S14's as standard cars are pretty much grand tourers - they are pretty good for cruising, but are a bit soft and tuned for the more mature driver, if you know what I mean ;)

Boost upgrade, FMIC, exhaust, air filter, decent suspension and wheels are all a must and Id add in a good race seat if you are going to track it up. Go for the next stage of a new turbo, chip and some brakes and you are looking at 350bhp, 13 seconds on the quarter and handling that will embarass a 350 as well :thumbs:

My advice would be to get one that has these things doen already - there are some beautiful cars on sale at the moment for relatively little money.

Check out:

Stokesy car - RB25 powers and in gorgeous condition: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=318074

Si Roberts car - although a bit expensive this is generally reckoned by those in the know to be one of the best in the country:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=317910

These two I dont know but are worth a look as well:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=321784

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=319308

www.driftworks.com is a decent place to have a look as well :) Any Q's then just ask :thumbs:

Dont listen to all these naysayers - a sorted S14(a) is faaar better than any of this BMW/Lotus/AE86 rubbish. Ive had an S14, 2 S13's and 2 S12's and Im a moderator and 15K+ poster on SXOC so I kinda a know a bit about them :D

S14's as standard cars are pretty much grand tourers - they are pretty good for cruising, but are a bit soft and tuned for the more mature driver, if you know what I mean ;)

Boost upgrade, FMIC, exhaust, air filter, decent suspension and wheels are all a must and Id add in a good race seat if you are going to track it up. Go for the next stage of a new turbo, chip and some brakes and you are looking at 350bhp, 13 seconds on the quarter and handling that will embarass a 350 as well :thumbs:

My advice would be to get one that has these things doen already - there are some beautiful cars on sale at the moment for relatively little money.

Check out:

Stokesy car - RB25 powers and in gorgeous condition: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=318074

Si Roberts car - although a bit expensive this is generally reckoned by those in the know to be one of the best in the country:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=317910

These two I dont know but are worth a look as well:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=321784

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=319308

www.driftworks.com is a decent place to have a look as well :) Any Q's then just ask :thumbs:

Awesome, thanks!