DIY CNC machine

Mike_89

I've been doing a bit of research on building my own CNC machine. I have concluded my findings and know what to build. Just wondering if any members have had any dealings with CAM software / G-Code or even building a similar project?

This looks impressive.

I am wanting to mill aluminium and need some advice, as I am led to believe that feed rates and spindle speed is critical to cutting aluminium without destroying the machine due to vibrations.

Edited by Mike_89

I am initially looking at building a desktop style 3-axis machine using extruded aluminium or something will provide some rigidity. The idea at the minute is to build a simple (yet sturdy) machine which can then help me build a more complex machine were I can machine my own parts.

I am initially looking at building a desktop style 3-axis machine using extruded aluminium or something will provide some rigidity. The idea at the minute is to build a simple (yet sturdy) machine which can then help me build a more complex machine were I can machine my own parts.

thats the way i did it my first 2 were actually made from mdf mines 60mm extruded aluminium with solid 10mm end plates and 20mm rails and linear bearings which would be fine for aluminium if it didn;t have a 600 x450 work area

some came from these people http://www.worldofcnc.com/

some from ebay it does pay to shop around as some of the prices vary wildly

if you're going to be machining harder materials fully supported rails will be better than rails like mine just supported at the ends

also what software/hardware are you going to use ? i've had lots of trouble with intel based systems but none with amd

I'm a toolmaker so only have experience with industriaL machines, what are you planning to machine.

IF I was going to build my own I would probably try retrofitting a manual mill as it will be far more versatile and much stronger than anything you could build yourself.

• Like 1

I'm a toolmaker so only have experience with industriaL machines, what are you planning to machine.

IF I was going to build my own I would probably try retrofitting a manual mill as it will be far more versatile and much stronger than anything you could build yourself.

retro fitting a manual mill would have been my preference but don't have the space

retro fitting a manual mill would have been my preference but don't have the space

Yeh I no space can be an issue but there are several machines aimed at hobby machinists which are quite compact

if you're going to be machining harder materials fully supported rails will be better than rails like mine just supported at the ends

also what software/hardware are you going to use ? i've had lots of trouble with intel based systems but none with amd

SOFTWARE

• CAM -> BobCam or similiar
  • Mach3 / Mach4
  • OS -> Windows 7 64-bit

HARDWARE

• 5-axis CNC Breakout board opto isolation for the parallel port
  • Stepper Motor Drivers w/Stepper Motors
  • Deciding between Directly coupled motors or pulley system with different ratios (still researching this at present. Not sure if it will increase the overall accuracy of the machine).
  • Linear Slide Rails (Flat Type) Fixed to structure
  • Decided to go with a 5-axis machine I think as it will add a little extra work onto the end mill

Before I purchase anything I will be designing the machine on CAD.

I am looking at milling various materials to make my own parts etc.... I imagine the limits are relatively endless as you can continuously improve the machine.

The other benefit to this is to learn something new, as a systems engineer I find a lot of things interesting and like to understand how things work. So I thought why not do something that would be useful. It will also help me with other future projects as I can make parts if required.

SOFTWARE

• Mach3 / Mach4
  • OS -> Windows 7 64-bit

HARDWARE

• Deciding between Directly coupled motors or pulley system with different ratios (still researching this at present. Not sure if it will increase the overall accuracy of the machine).
  • Decided to go with a 5-axis machine I think as it will add a little extra work onto the end mill

I am looking at milling various materials to make my own parts etc.... I imagine the limits are relatively endless as you can continuously improve the machine.

The other benefit to this is to learn something new, as a systems engineer I find a lot of things interesting and like to understand how things work. So I thought why not do something that would be useful. It will also help me with other future projects as I can make parts if required.

Well fair play to you sounds like an interesting project I would like to see what you come up with

SOFTWARE

• Mach3 / Mach4
  • OS -> Windows 7 64-bit

HARDWARE

Well fair play to you sounds like an interesting project I would like to see what you come up with

SOFTWARE

• Mach3 / Mach4
  • OS -> Windows 7 64-bit

HARDWARE

SOFTWARE

• Mach3 / Mach4
  • OS -> Windows 7 64-bit

HARDWARE

SOFTWARE

• Mach3 / Mach4
  • OS -> Windows 7 64-bit

HARDWARE

• 11 months later...

I recently finished making my own diy cnc! Open builds ox cnc is a really good strong diy cnc, mines made of various alu profiles and 10mm aluminium for the gantrys only had it a few months but it's been working pretty hard last few weekends cutting a mates university project!

138703b6860c6ffdc53a349073412626.jpg

19f12a9ff37399bf154d564fb2c68a79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shaun350z

I have a denford TriacPC just about to rebuild the cabinet and convert to mach 3 on it. also recently sold a denford Nova Cam to husky on here which would have been the size you would have been looking at. have a look around as you may be able to find an old school CNC and convert it quicker than self building. and then build your bigger machine.