Homebrew - beer

Fodder

Anyone else brew?

I'm new to it but love muntons IPA and just bought a woodfordes wherry kit.

I'd like to try brewing from scratch but wouldn't know where to start. If anyone else has any tips please post.

Cheers

Didn't need to brew it when I used to go out with one of the daughters of Woodfordes :thumbs:

On a serious note it is one thing I would love to try is brewing my own so to speak. Be interested in others experience with home brewing.

Edited by Humpy

I recently did a batch of cider - was a bit rough at first but having been left a few months is pretty good now and quite potent. I'm doing a Toffee Apple next as I love that Brothers stuff

I recently did a batch of cider - was a bit rough at first but having been left a few months is pretty good now and quite potent. I'm doing a Toffee Apple next as I love that Brothers stuff

Good to know Mudman. I have an apple tree in the garden and we normally have so much spoil I'm thinking I use them for cider.

Not tried the Woodfordes yet but I've heard it's awesome.

my plan is to stick to ales and ciders. In the process of collecting bottles, have one keg at the minute though.

Oh I invested in a "beer belt" too.... No not as in duff man type but one which warms the fermentation bins.

One of the biggest factors when brewing is accurate temp control. Without that, you'll have all sorts of off flavours. Ideally it should remain completely constant, which can be hard to achieve. I use a modified fridge to keep temps at a constant throughout the entire fermentation process. All you need is an old fridge, a small greenhouse heater and an STC-1000 controller - cheap to build and a wise investment.

• Like 1

Thanks TS. I use the beer belt I mentioned to try to regulate the temp, seems to work relatively well for first fermentation and for the first few days of the second.

I use the garage which in the summer the temp is quite consistent but interesting solution you use there.

Do you brew from scratch or using kits? Do you have any tips for either method?

Many thanks, looks like there's a few of us at least.

Garage is a great location, do you know what kind of temps it reaches in there? It depends on the beer style and the yeast being used as to what the ideal fermentation temperature is, some esters produced at higher temperatures are actually desirable in some cases. For me, summer temps without the fridge would make brewing impossible.

I'm only doing extract brews not all grain at this stage, but think I'll move on to that soon. I've mainly been doing IPA's / Double IPA's and heavily hopped pale ales. I generally ferment these at a constant 19C. I love heavily hopped beers, so have been experimenting with my hop profiles, both in the boil and for dry hopping, the latest batch I used 3oz of Victorias Secret to dry hop a 23l batch, it's lovely.

The only real tips I have to offer are be over the top with santization, keep your temps constant and experiment!

(Fridge build - http://www.berrybrew.co.uk/fermentation-fridge-build-brew-fridge/)

• Like 1

Thanks TS, I'll check the garage temps but it's quite shaded where it is as the side wall faces north and the neighbours extension is about 4ft away. The other side of the garage is attached to the house so it doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight and seems to maintain its temp.

I've been trying to keep my first fermentation around 20°c - 22°c which most kits advise.

The bins are kept on a table away from walls which I hope will also reduce the temp variance.

Good tip about sanitisation and one which my local homebrew shop drilled into me when I first started talking to him.

which reminds me, if anyone is thinking of doing this find a local independent home brew shop, they are really helpful and will offer advice... They are usually not far off internet prices for anything you need.