Ring Trip

Kaveney

I will be going for the first time in July and taking the 350Z with the girlfriend time and just thought I would ask if anyone can give me any tips on hotel , ferry getting there eating out etc .

Thank

Alan

Tip No.1: Remember you're not insured.

Tip No 2: Mind the bikes!

Tip No 3: The Pistenklause restaurant MUST be experienced for the food! It's in the Hotel am Tiergarten.

I normally use the Eurotunnel these days, so much easier than faffing about on a ferry.

I've posted up a few times about the 'ring, going again in June.

I always stay at hotel an der nordschleife, awesome location and very well priced plus the staff are friendly.

I normally eat at Pinocchios, a lot on the menu, super delicious and extremely friendly...

Used to get the ferry a lot but now I've switched the eurotunnel as it's pretty convenient.

There are plenty of places around the 'ring to go and visit (other towns etc) just have a little Google and see what takes your fancy.

I'm going in 15 days! With daveyboy11 on here too.

Get the tunnel which costs about £120,

Google Monica Schneider apartments, she has a lovely house which is cheap and enough space for 5 cars and a garage. Plus it's really cheap.

Make sure your tyres and brakes are good. Drive at 70% of your limit! enjoy yourself and have fun.

Don't take risks - ie going out in rain etc.

Do max 2 laps at a time and give yourself about 20min break before going out again.

Look on YouTube for 'how to tackle the nurburgring' it's a great video to learn the lines.

Watch every crash video you can find, look for the most common corners, and why they crashed. Was it track condition etc.

I find a lot of people who crash are because they overtake a slower car, are off the racing line, going into a corner too quick, off the line, under steer/over steer then see Armco.

The cost of crashing is monumental. Even for the lightest tap.

Just approach it like a country lane you don't know.

Just enjoy yourself though. No point going for records. You're never going to be the quickest guy out there, and you've got nothing really to prove.

• Like 2

I reckon there's two ways to drive the Ring:

1. Don't look at any videos more than you normally would. Drive it as a quick country road that you don't know.

2. Play as much Forza/GT as you can, learn the lines as best you can, take notes of the corners and stick them to your dash. Go uber prepared, but try not to expect too much from yourself.

Common sense says always do the first one. I did the second one on my first go there! :lol: I'm glad I did, I found myself so much more prepared than the guy I went with who had to follow me all day. That said, I'd had a fair amount of track experience beforehand so was mentally prepared for the drive as much as anything, and it was a proper trackday there too. If you've never driven on track before, I'd say that doing the second option like me isn't a great idea. False confidence and all that.

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll have fun which is the most important thing. Try not to lose any sleep over losing your house if you have a crash though ;):lol:

Many thanks people a few points .

1 She loves boats so said we would take the ferry from Dover

2 never done any tack driving with my own car but done a lot of karting ( only super car track days )

3 She loves stake

Take a compass with you just in case you crash, scratch any identification off the car and rip the number plates off then literally leg it through the forest

And live of the land I Germany for a few months :)

A bit late but for accommodation, Burgstrube, owner Martin Bird, top bloke, like most the folks there are enthusiasts first and can help / arrange almost anything and its like less than a minute from the track...

Tunnel better for getting on and off than ferry (for me anyway), the only bad bit at the tunnel is the under car scanner bit that's worse than crossing tramlines in Edinburgh...

Make a trip of it, you can hit Zandvoort, Zolder (hotel de pitz with trackside balcony, top class) and Spa as well... Roads from Spa to Bastogne then into Mosel Valley awesome (go as far as Cochem then head north to the Ring)...

Were going this year too but not in the Z (cant fit 3 in her) so we go in the Deli and at the track its a hire car for me...

Top tip, keep a watch in your mirror before entry and on exit of bends for faster traffic and indicate to the right nice and early to let them see you know there there and move over to give room, most of all though... Have fun

Edited by Jixaman

I'd be very interested to know how many of you pass through Luxembourg on your way to the ring. Bastogne is good stop off point (30 minute drive from me). But when you get into Luxembourg, I can guarantee you that you won't find a country with smoother road surfaces! Vianden castle (north Luxembourg) is an amazing sight to see, and the roads up the north are amazing. On par if not better than the best B roads I've been on in the UK. Loads of expats here too. Then you have Trier, just across the border in Germany (Germany's oldest city - with the Black Gate Roman ruins). From there, the drive to the ring is a doddle!

It's a slight detour, but when you consider that the fuel prices in Luxembourg are noticeably lower than those in surrounding countries (government controlled in Lux), it's not a bad place to pass through. If you are going to Bastogne, it's roughly an extra 70 miles onto your trip if you go through Luxembourg. Price comparisons for 98 unleaded (per litre) are:

Luxembourg: 1.28EUR (or £0.93), Belgium: 1.57EUR (or £1.14), Germany: 1.49EUR (or £1.08) France: 1.48EUR (or £1.07).

Entirely up to you of course, but I would say it's worth the extra 70 miles!

For sure...

We head east from the tunnel to Spa, stay over in Robertsville, then play down to Bastogne for lunch then on through Luxembourg to Wintrich on the Mosel where we stay as well (check out the mini Stelvio at Piesport), next its playing in the hills of the Mosel stopping at Cochem for lunch then its off to the track. We hit Zolder on the way back up...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mdkaqh7o9zmti2/EUROTRIP.jpg?dl=0

We always stay here http://www.hotel-wilhelmshoehe.de/

The owner Jackie is English and really friendly, and her German husband Ulrich makes cracking food. The hotel and gardens are nice and they sell Bitburger which I love. It's 10-15 minutes from the ring but the roads to get there are great.

Last year we went for a short trip for just 2 days so we tried the Hotel an der Nordschleife in Adenau, thinking that it might be nice to stay closer the track. I'd wished we'd gone to Jackie's as usual as it's way better.

I take my own car on track but I always hire a track car from these guys http://www.rent4ring.de/en/

Their basic Suzuki swifts will embarrass plenty of so supposedly quicker cars, and they are perfect for learning the track before you go out in something with a lot more power.