Replacing the BOSE woofer

benjy88

So basically, my BOSE subwoofer is shot. Having thought it was the speakers behind the headrests, myself and Mouthwash spent a great deal of time changing them for some better units, only to find the noise was still there - ergo, it was the Sub. Not happy... but then again the rear speakers sound far better now, so it's not the end of the world....

Anyway. I'm going to replace the subwoofer and properly line the enclosure to eradicate all the holes behind the Sub, etc etc... bla bla.

The issue I think I'm going to have here are:

No.1 Diameter of the subwoofer. I presume a 10" will go into that hole.

No.2 The fixings. The BOSE obviously has 4 bolts to locate it, whereas everything aftermarket has either 5 or 6 holes. Should I just bite the bullet and drill some more holes to make it fit?

Also, what's the situation with amplifiers? Do I need to get a better amp as well to cope with a more powerful Sub? As you can see I'm not particularly Audio-minded... as Mouthwash will undoubtedly confirm - I have very VERY little patience when it comes to fitting anything electrical.

Any thoughts/experience/advice/opinions all gratefully received; even if it's just "Shut the hell up Benj"

From what I've read in previous threads -

OEM Sub position is @*!# for upgrading, better off putting it in the boot.

If that's a no go,

Most people seem to adapt the OEM location to fit a new sub - I.e. Drill new holes, create a new surround for the sub, soundproof the box etc.

So be prepared to adapt the OEM location for new sub

I'm pretty sure you will want shot of that amp and get a decent one. That's what I would do anyway.

What's wrong with the current sub?

I can't afford to use any space in the boot... I need it for clothes, junk, car parts I haven't fitted yet, expired Rolo yogurts and old tissue.

How would one go about making up a new surround though? And will the cover not fit over an aftermarket Sub?

What's wrong with it is that it sounds like a noise in made in my toilet this morning, Matt....

Lol!

Well from what I've seen, people have mocked up a MDF template to run around the sub to act as a strengthening mounting plate.

You could I guess put the MDF mount behind the metal enclosure, but might be very tricky :lol:

If it was me, I'd but the surround on the outside, spray it black, mount the sub on top, then cut around the plastic to allow the sub to poke out, but keeping the plastic to cover the surrounding metal area.

That's a really interesting idea... mounting it into the plastic Bose cover..... A lot easier to drill into, a lot easier to unmount it, and then all I have to do is worry about filling the gaps around the cover. Is that what you mean?

You have to remember a sub needs an enclosure, the oem location is not suitable for an aftermarket sub just put in its place, the bose is a free air sub thats why it is there and ok, there are a few boxes that go in that location, and the subs face down in a sealed enclosure, the bose cover sots ontop of them keeping the factory look

Ah, but I beg to disagree... as with some carpet, some double sided tape, a drill and a small amount of fettling, I have put a Pioneer Champion 1200w Sub in the original Cubby!! It sounds brilliant too. Even did a tiny bit of cutting and managed to get the OEM cover to sit over it too, so you'd never know :D

• Like 1

Can I just jump on this and ask, if I wanted to upgrade my speakers also, how was this done? did you just use oringinal wirering? and what size did you use? Looking to possibly add some more sound to mine. Iv upgraded the head unit but feel the speakers could do with being better.

cheers

Now here is an idea.

It sounds like your subwoofer has blown.

Why don't you remove the speaker and get it re-coned? In the good old days this is what you used to do. Is this option still available? It should be as people in the music business have to get their speakers 're-coned' somewhere :thumbs:

Can I just jump on this and ask, if I wanted to upgrade my speakers also, how was this done? did you just use oringinal wirering? and what size did you use? Looking to possibly add some more sound to mine. Iv upgraded the head unit but feel the speakers could do with being better.

cheers

Yes upgrade all the wires while you are there, its not a hard job in the Z, everything comes apart very easy, only hard bit is cutting the door plug for your wire to pass through, thats it !

If you change the head unit in a Zed with after market, you have to the change the speakers too, and install an amp and lay down new wiring.

The issue is that the Bose system and speakers are all designed to run at 2ohm resistance, whilst almost everything aftermakket (HU, Speakers, amps, subs) are 4ohm. This is not necessary a Zed issue its Nissan in general.

If you decide to upgrade the HU only (as I initially did) you'll find that your HU is being over worked, and the speakers are underpowered (Max volume on the head unit will still leave you wanting more volume). You'll also find that certain settings (Sub level, HPF, LPF) do nothing.

alternative to spending this much money, is upgrade the HU only with a 2ohm HU, but I have looked and I honestly can't find any.

Edited by DarmoZ

Now here is an idea.

It sounds like your subwoofer has blown.

Why don't you remove the speaker and get it re-coned? In the good old days this is what you used to do. Is this option still available? It should be as people in the music business have to get their speakers 're-coned' somewhere :thumbs:

Not worth it for a 15 Year old speaker.

Probably pick up a 2nd hand one cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys - quick question.

Is the power lead that goes to the bose amp a standard 12 v supply - can that and the earth be connected to an aftermarket amp or does a new wire need running from the battery?

Are the audio connections to the amp tapable for an aftermarket amp, or is a new RCA cable required to be run from the head unit? I plan to use the Incartech harness - so I guess I don't need to do this.

To be honest I just used some disused sound deadening from the boot of a Jaguar XF we had lying around hahah. Double sided taped it all in place, sounds far better now. But leave some gaps because other it will basically shake your car to pieces if you're putting a more serious bit of kit in there!

• 6 months later...

Anyone know what size and thread the 4 stock mounting bolts are that hold in the Bose woofer?

I'm fitting a subwoofer in my JDM Z, which as a base model does not have a woofer as standard,

but does have the woofer mounting plate under a blank cubby cover.

Edited by GrahameJ

• 2 weeks later...