A members car detailed (lots of pics!)

bryd

Had a call from Steve asking my to give his 350Z a bit of TLC, after seeing a link to some of my work that someone had posted.

The process

On arrival

DSCF7508.jpg

DSCF7504.jpg

So straight on with the washing, first up pre spray with citrus de-greaser, then cover the car in lovely foam

DSCF7511.jpg

While foam was doing its thing, wheels were cleaned inside and out with a safe non acidic wheel cleaner. Car was then rinsed, refoamed and washed using the 2 bucket method and a Schmit, rinsed then clayed to remove any imbedded contaminents and lots of tree sap! Ready for a thorough inspection.

Leaf pressing? :lol:

DSCF7506.jpg

Birb bombing

DSCF7532.jpg

Cats been using it as a slide? :headhurt:

DSCF7527.jpg

DSCF7528.jpg

DSCF7526.jpg

DSCF7523.jpg

DSCF7514.jpg

And lots of these lovely swirls!

DSCF7521.jpg

DSCF7550.jpg

Now Nissans are notorious for having very thin paint, and Steves was no exception, wings, doors were averaging 65 - 68 microns, bonnet was slightly better averaging around 80, but the roof was very thin, lowest reading was 43micron rising to to a generous 47!. So total removal of some of the deeper scratches just wasn't going to be feasable although what wasn;t removed was greatly reduced and can only be seen at certain angle.

A shot showing front wing has been machine polished, highlighting the swirls on the door

DSCF7547.jpg

DSCF7545.jpg

Door after polishing

DSCF7556.jpg

Rear wing

DSCF7563.jpg

DSCF7576.jpg

Boot panel

DSCF7581.jpg

After all machine was completed, paint was cleaned with Dodo Juice Lime Prime which removes the oils etc, from the polishing stage, then 2 coats of Dodo Juice Banana Armour carnauba wax was applied, wheels had Jetseal 109 applied to help future cleaning.

And the finish result, taken the next day

DSCF7590.jpg

DSCF7592.jpg

DSCF7593.jpg

DSCF7594.jpg

DSCF7589.jpg

Forum members will remember me agonizing over the kuro - full respray was what I was expecting.

I am flabbergasted at the great job Bryan has done, and I feel like I have a new car!

The black is deeper and "wetter than a otters wotsit" - great job.

Him and his missis are lovely too!

If any of you want your Z to be a real head turner, pay Bryan a visit - awesome job, thanks so much, Bryan!

Hope your daughter had a great 4th birthday too!

Steve

B) excellent work ! did you use menzerna to cut with ? dodo juice gives a nice wet look

Yeah, majority done with 106FA, and the areas that needed a bit more work (and where the paint was slightly thicker) i used 3.02, using megs yellow polishing pad

Bryan I never asked, what are your thoughts on me having some pieces resprayed like you mentioned the front bumper, of course, but what about the roof and the boot lid?

I'm not averse to having the whole thing resprayed and lacquered in the same colour... then well detailed with that extra thickness!

Bryan I never asked, what are your thoughts on me having some pieces resprayed like you mentioned the front bumper, of course, but what about the roof and the boot lid?

I'm not averse to having the whole thing resprayed and lacquered in the same colour... then well detailed with that extra thickness!

Definately get the front bumper done, then maybe get armour fend or similar applied to it, as for the rest of the car, i guess it depends on how long you are planning on keeping your Z, because the cost of a "good" respray is going to be a couple of grand. If you do go down the repsray route get some extra layers of clear added this can then be wet sanded back to give a flawless mirror finish.