What's this black box connected to the alternator?

AdrianL

Just noticed this dangling down when doing an oil change... looks like it had been knocked off a mounting on the alternator, and the wire goes up to the black cable on the top? I've tie-wrapped it for now but looks like it could do with being replaced..

k9YRE3Ul.jpg

Ta,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianL

Are there any pins or connections of any type in the box or is it just a plastic shell?

It looks like a plastic shell, and there is a single wire on it. You can see where it was mounted on to the alternator though by the metal bracket that connected to a bolt.

j5kaEapl.jpg

Cheers guys :) good to know what it is. What can I do with regards to repairing it? Can I actually get the part separately? how can I attach something that has been sheared off like that?

They are generic, you should be able to pic one up at your local factor.

I'll have to ring round some factors tomorrow as I'm not finding much online unfortunately :(

I have a grounding kit installed, and haven't noticed any whining... so are there any ill-effects from leaving it?