Stabiliser bar (ARB/Sway) - Preload

RobPhoboS

Having just fitted the Eibach ARB's on the weekend I thought I'd ask about this (Bennett, I know you're watching!!! :D).

So I didn't get a second to even look at them after torquing up and heading off for my MOT.

I presume the ends should be parallel to the ground ?

swaybar_endlink.jpg

Some talk about it here which sounds about right to me:

http://forum.miata.n...ad.php?t=451131

Note: I'll be doing this when the car is on a ramp

Edited by RobPhoboS

As the pics rightly show and I said numerous times you need adjustable droplink when you lower your car.

The factory droplink is design with the factory ARB and height so droping the car the droplinks push the ARB upwards and put preload(twist) into the ARB and reducing the amount of anti twist left to resist roll.

Being parallel is not so much as important as getting the endlink pivot (ball joint) line pepenficular into the ARB holes and the chassis pick up point and in doing so it will have no preload and invariably be parallel.

If you got adjustable droplinks then:

Get the car on a flat surface ideally ramp. Disconnect both droplink ends off the ARB. Adjust one end first so the droplink bolt can slot into freely into the ARB slot of your preference. Put the nut loosely and then repeat on the other side. Then tighten everything. Repeat one the other axle. Some people put an equivalent weight of the driver on the driver seat but I think it's BS. If you want to be doing this then get the car corner weighted which is a similar process but you put a full or half full tank of fuel, then make small coilover height adjustment at each corner until you achieve identical weights on each axle end and cross corners. This gives you the best handling possible. Takes time to do and cost usually over £250.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...