It's too loud

Martin_t5r

Hi, another exhaust thread, I have done some searching on here but not found an answer :(

Basically I bought my 350z, it sounded very loud and blowy from the exhaust, wasn't too worried as thought i can repair/replace etc. Upon inspection it looks like it has some kind of tubular manifolds, a broken japspeed y pipe, and some kind of cheap nasty y pipe back system on it...

So Im thinking of getting a resonated cobra y pipe back exhaust, and maybe a new y pipe If mine won't weld.

My question is, would the cobra quieten it down considerably or are the tubular manifolds where my noise problem lies, I'm looking to get on track with it and didn't want to fork out for a new y pipe back exhaust if it solves nothing and I still end up with an anti social 350z :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Martin

Get some pics up of the current one (inc y-pipe) and it will be identified . . and from that point suggestions on what to get wold be easier.

I am pretty sure that Cobra, Miltek and the like are fine for track and a much better less anti-social soundtrack :thumbs:

It's been attacked, there are some small cracks around welds too, and where it joins the rest of the system back, at the flange where the gasket Is, it's leaking air and condensation, even after I've fitted new gasket with sealant.

Is my first stop to buy a new y pipe with flexi's in? As the while exhaust is so rigid if you know what I mean, no give at all...

It's been attacked, there are some small cracks around welds too, and where it joins the rest of the system back, at the flange where the gasket Is, it's leaking air and condensation, even after I've fitted new gasket with sealant.

Is my first stop to buy a new y pipe with flexi's in? As the while exhaust is so rigid if you know what I mean, no give at all...

Yeah I would try a new y-pipe first, that looks like a Jap Speed rear as well (maybe) which are not renowned as being good quality.

If you might get a deal form one of the traders for a complete system inc y-pipe . . depends if your funds can stretch to it.

Tbh if it was my Zed Martin I'd be looking at a complete new Cat to back system.

You should be able to sell the centre section & back box on to regain some capital & then I'd bin that Japspeed cr*p (although you may get something for it as scrap metal).

If you can't afford it though a good place to start would definitely be by getting a new Y-pipe as doogyrev mentioned above although it will still be loud with the De-Cats whatever system & Y-pipe you get. ;)

Sorry to sound idiotic but are test pipes another word for tubular mani? It's one piece each side from cylinder head to where y pipe start if you know what I mean?

Is it unlikely to get under 105db with those particular decat manifolds?

Edited by Martin_t5r

Sorry to sound idiotic but are test pipes another word for tubular mani? It's one piece each side from cylinder head to where y pipe start if you know what I mean?

Test Pipes/De-cats are the same thing. Just a tube essentially from the headers to the Y-Pipe. No baffles in them at all, they will not pass an MOT.

So look to at least get new CATs and a Y-pipe.

• Like 1

Test pipes is another word used to describe De-Cats ~ basically just pipes in place of what should be the Catalytic converters.

From the engine block as standard it should go, ...Exhaust manifolds (one either side as it's a V6) > Catalytic converters (one either side as it's a V6) > Y-pipe (two pipes going into one) > Centre section > Back box/tail pipes.

Your Zed has been modded so seems to have De-Cats (test pipes) in place of the standard Catalytic converters. Doogy types faster than me so has beaten me to the reply. :angry::lol:

Edited by GMballistic

Brilliant Thankyou for your replies, understood :) and I'm very grateful for your help :)

I've had the zed for a month now, love the car, just hate what someone has done to the exhaust, and I thought the gtr was loud!

4A34C318-20E2-4AD4-BA9A-B53EB9149A08_zpsir3baox2.jpg

Ideally I would be looking to have cats back in but with the test pipes I would have to put standard manifolds back on I guess which I don't have. So just hoping to quieten it as much as possible with new y pipe and new exhaust

Edited by Martin_t5r

I don't think I can, as the manifolds are 1 piece each, from head to y pipe.

In your photo it shows the cats bolted on each side up near each side of the engine, where as with mine there are no flanges or anything for me to put cats in, it's just one piece :(

Looks like you have tubular manifolds, crapspeed Y pipe and a cobra rear end. It'll be loud because of the manifolds and the Cobra is probably a non resonated version. is there a silencer between the Y pipe and back box?