Leak (assume it's the diff)

H1979

Hi

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this and offer some assistance. Moved the car off the drive this morning to give it a clean and noticed oil on the ground.

Below is a pic of where the oil is dripping from, but I can work out where it's actually coming out as I can't get under the car fully, no ramps. I had the diff oil changed a few weeks ago by Mitz at cs if that makes any diff (couldn't resist ^_^)

c70da9396303a903524096af33a5f43f.jpg

Thanks in advance ;)

Suggest putting a sheet of paper under it and cleaning the diff then you will get a better idea where it is coming from, personally it's hard to tell on my phone but the drain plug looks ok, fill plug looks shinier tho( one halfway up the side on the fins) drain is the one in the middle bottom of fins, both are the same shape plug, the rest are bolts that go around the outside casing to hold the rear fin cover on the diff.

Hard to say from pix.

Could be drain or level plug washers, rear diff end cover, drive shaft seals.

Perhaps diff rear sub frame mount, but that would be goo instead of oil.

Clean it all down and check properly.

Update - stuck the car on a couple of bricks to give me a bit of height and cleaned as well as I could, the rough surface and rusty bit didn't help much. But I think the leak is from the plug on the second pic, is that the drain or fill, sorry can quite figure this out. But also the rusty bit is also pretty moist and can't work out if that's just run from the plug leak or actually leaking around that area too. Any recommendations, nip up the leaky plug, if so what torque should that be at?

Thanks again for the help.

IMAG0089_zpsc3gr2fwc.jpg

IMAG0087_zpsymmjqmxt.jpg

Could be as simple as a little spillage from when the oil was changed, so no need to worry too much just yet :) Its easy to lose a little when filling up and a little goes a long way and spreads everywhere.

Wipe the plug area with kitchen town until it comes away completely dry. Check back later, preferably after a drive and if the kitchen towel test has a damp spot then you have a culprit. If nothing then it may be a little surplus from when it was filled.

Edited by Toon Chris

Hi Toon Chris, thanks for your input. To be honest I don't think it's from the fill up directly as its dropped a couple more times on the drive since cleaning earlier and the service was about 4 weeks ago and there was a fair amount on the drive when I moved it off. It's all as dry as I can get it and I've put some paper under as suggested earlier so will see ifs it's coming from anywhere other than that plug. Cheers.

Edited by H1979

2nd pic is the fill plug, if you open it stick your finger in you should feel the top of the oil line. (would suggest a torque wrench to nip it up but.... doesn't sound like you have one, so a wee nip on both wouldn't do any harm if you have the correct allen key.

Just been out to it again with the torque wrench, seems like it was only finger tight in the first place. Put the hex bit in and the bolt just turned, gutted I didn't check that first, just didn't expect it to be so loose. Been for a drive and all seems well so far, will keep an eye on it over the next few weeks.

Thanks everyone for your input.

:D

Edited by H1979