Bike Rack

kilapot

Has anyone bought a bike rack for their 350Z that actually works? In the process of weighing up a 350Z or TT. My only worry with the 350Z is whether or not I can get my mountain bike loaded on somehow?

Have spotted an option (USA website) that seems to involve self tapping bolts into a strut under the rear bumper which then allows some attachment to take a carrier and straps that look like using the boot strut.

A forum (USA again) mentioned a rack that just about worked with its straps maxed out....

This would seem to be the only area where the TT comes out top....

I dont wont to run two cars and I dont want to give up mountain biking.... help

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am ssure the local Halfords or Nissan dealer would be able to advise. I doubt you would get a bike in the car as the strut brace would get in the way. If a bike is going to sway the decision between a Zed and a TT, be prepared to be disappointed when you don't have the bike on the back. :)

In all honesty mate if you want to carry bikes etc around then you're probably better off with a different car than the Z, the Z isn't the most spacious of things, it's lardy rear end will be ruined by the addition of a bike rack and it deserves much more than being used as a bike carrier.

The Z is a fantastic car but not suited as a transporter.

Not convinced you read my first post SimonD, but think its quite apparent that I'm aiming to run ONE very nice car and as such it will have to be used more than just for sticking bits of flash kit on........ I dont see how using a motor for 3 or 4 days a month mountain biking (being realistic) requires someone to buy a 'transporter' but i'll confine your comments to the 'less useful' section.

:rant:

Not convinced you read my first post SimonD, but think its quite apparent that I'm aiming to run ONE very nice car and as such it will have to be used more than just for sticking bits of flash kit on........ I dont see how using a motor for 3 or 4 days a month mountain biking (being realistic) requires someone to buy a 'transporter' but i'll confine your comments to the 'less useful' section.

Think your disregarding some very good advice there? Nobody mentioned sticking flash kit on it or running two cars did they? The advice was that if you want to transport a MTB even for only 3-4 days a month then the zed isn't best suited for it, illustrated by the lack of a solution. This issue has arisen before and the advice was the same.

;)

Think your disregarding some very good advice there? Nobody mentioned sticking flash kit on it or running two cars did they? The advice was that if you want to transport a MTB even for only 3-4 days a month then the zed isn't best suited for it, illustrated by the lack of a solution. This issue has arisen before and the advice was the same.

;)

+1 - you asked for advice as to how practical and people have been honest. :)

Think saying stick flash kit on it is a bit rude, ;) sticking quality mod's on is more like it, i however agree with the others, the Zed is not intended to be a bike rack, sorry, don't want to offend, but that's how i see it :p:teeth:

Sats

OT but Sats are you 71 yrs old ?????? :surrender:

Do you have to retake your test every year? :p

Think saying stick flash kit on it is a bit rude, ;) sticking quality mod's on is more like it, i however agree with the others, the Zed is not intended to be a bike rack, sorry, don't want to offend, but that's how i see it :p:teeth:

Sats

Didn't mean it to be offensive, and no,Not quite, and no :lol::lol::lol:

Sats

Sats

Sats

Born in 1971 then? Still a codger :p:lol:

Sats

Sats

Born in 53, add getting to be a codger :lol::lol::lol:

Sats

Sats

1853? :wheelchair::p

Sats

Sats

1853? :wheelchair::p

Got it in one :p:lol::lol:

I've heard it all the 350z is not a bike carrier, then it probably isn't the most appropriate means of transport to get to work or the shops is it? If life was about SENSIBLE shoices then hell we'd all be driving astra/focus 1.4 or smaller cars.

Has anyone got any serious comments about the solution that appears to be provided by these guys..........

http://www.birdautomotive.com/Bike%20Ra ... 20350Z.htm

My one concern via email is that apparently the bracket you have to fit reduces ground clearance under the bumper/exhaust by 1.5 inches or at least thats what I think they said............

PS glad to see this thread has manged to get good humoured........ and before any chancer suggests it again a 4x4 is my idea of car hell the mountain bike goes on the tracks not the car.......

:surrender::thumbs::teeth:

I've heard it all the 350z is not a bike carrier, then it probably isn't the most appropriate means of transport to get to work or the shops is it? If life was about SENSIBLE shoices then hell we'd all be driving astra/focus 1.4 or smaller cars.

Has anyone got any serious comments about the solution that appears to be provided by these guys..........

My one concern via email is that apparently the bracket you have to fit reduces ground clearance under the bumper/exhaust by 1.5 inches or at least thats what I think they said............

PS glad to see this thread has manged to get good humoured........ and before any chancer suggests it again a 4x4 is my idea of car hell the mountain bike goes on the tracks not the car.......

Just a suggestion, but you could maybe try one of the US sites and see if anyone there has tested this. Either that or contact the company who manufacture it and see if they can put you in contact with someone who has fitted it and get their opinion

I did a google search and found this guy has fitted one and he has posted his email address on the home page.

http://jdmugen0.tripod.com/id15.html

Good luck :thumbs:

to vary between models..... birdautomotive sell the same basic rack with a variation of fitting brackets for a variety of cars. It does seem to narrow for a front wheel say not to come into contact with the car.....

As I've commented/asked earlier the TT does appear to be more bike friendly (roof bar points!!!!!!) but that would look well wrong wouldn't it.... if I wanted the pure practicallity I could opt for a Golf diesel GTi type car but I want fun fun fun fun fun...............

if I wanted the pure practicallity I could opt for a Golf diesel GTi type car but I want fun fun fun fun fun...............

:yawn:

Then buy the zed. If you must transport a bike, I wouldn't buy a zed. If you want fun,fun,fun,fun,fun then buy a zed and forget about mountain bikes. If you want to be a hairdresser then buy a TT ;)

Just a suggestion, but you could maybe try one of the US sites and see if anyone there has tested this. Either that or contact the company who manufacture it and see if they can put you in contact with someone who has fitted it and get their opinion

I did a google search and found this guy has fitted one and he has posted his email address on the home page.

http://jdmugen0.tripod.com/id15.html

Good luck :thumbs:

Cheers for that find, have emailed this fella but his sites not been updated for a while so I'm not really expecting a result.....

Did check out the us site that has linked up with this and there was a thread on there.... some nutcases where using bike racks that rested on the cars even I the wierd one who wants to still be able to mountain bike..... and have the coolest car at the forest car park wouldn't even consider such nonsense. Someone had used a 'bird' rack and was very happy with it but never got round to showing photos despite promising to do so back in june.....

Seems my mind is made up..... 350z and bird bike rack now only have to endure the 6 month wait to get my finances in shape in order to afford the purchase. So hopefully if some of you guys might spot some nutter driving up the A1 with mtn bike on the back of a Zed you'll know who he is..........