Undersealant/rust proofing

ilogikal1

I wasn't really sure where to post this, so if the mods think it's better off somewhere else feel free to put it in the right place for me (please :lol: ).

I know this doesn't come up here all that often, but it does come up occasionally so this might help some. Essentially the University of Hertfordshire were charged with the task of testing rust prevention waxes (by Bilt Hamber); comparing Wax-Oyl, Noxudol 700, Rustbuster, Dinitrol, Dynax S50 & Korrosions-Schutzfett in a salt spray cyclic corrosion test.

Full details of the test are in the link, along with the results, however in short; some metal plates were coated with each of the rust-proof products above and then sent through a synthesized life-cycle which speeds up rusting. The test found Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 to out perform the others.

It also shows just how poor the highly regarded and often recommended Wax-Oyl performs in comparison.

Anyway, the test in it's entirety can be found here.

• Like 1

I must admit, I was a little sceptical of that myself, however having read through the report a couple of times I've not spotted any way in which it could have been fixed to benefit Bilt Hamber - I could have missed something of course - so the results seem quite reliable.

BH likely were a little selective with the other products used, but I've long since stated that Wax-Oyl is an outdated product these days and this simply proves that there better products on the market than Wax-Oyl - that's what I took away from this report rather than BH is the best.

Edited by ilogikal1

All of the BH stuff I've used for the past 3 or 4 years does exactly what it says it will do.

I'd have no problem using any of their stuff, in fact I really do recommend having a few bits in the garage from their list.

+1 for BH. Good quality products.

I had a brief read through but lots of different variables missing

1. is the best competition being put up against it

2. it doesnt mention cost of each product (as you would always have a cost vs quality equation, sure a Ferrari is faster than a VW Golf but of course it is, sticking them in a drag race proves nothing)

3. what does the accellerated time rusting period actually signify? is this what you might expect over the course of a year, two, or fifty? If this is say fifty years corrosion then its utterly irrelevant

Well those were the main things, but my point is that they would have decided what the test is, the parameters, picked the competition etc - I know, because I have seen this type of 'research' done a million times by many brands (I am a market researcher for FMCGs and they do this sort of 'research' all the time to prove a proven point not to fairly test a hypothesis i.e. L'oreal does this and Persil does that, the whole thing is a fix from the start) and you would be fool to take it as gospel.

That said, I am sure its a really good product, but this is hardly definitive.

• Like 1