A lesson in fuel management

The week before last I made my regular trip from Leeds to my Mums place near Gatwick, list of chores pending, 240 miles.

I don't use the car whilst there so fill up as leaving & this monitors fuel costs, normally it's around £65/70

The weather was dismal, heavy spray, very poor visibility & it took nearly 6 hours of crawling to arrive.

Fill up cost was £39.46.

In future maybe I should drive everywhere at 50mph max.

Normal service was resumed on way home.

its remarkable, by far and away the best mileage i get is through a 50mph roadworks zone, can easily push 35mpg. or stuck behind a slow person on the A49 travelling down to Hereford.

one of these days in going to drive to edinburgh and back to see just how far the car will go on a tank - my guess is 520 miles or so.

Interesting to see the difference at various speeds but personally I haven't got that time too spare and would rather drive that bit faster and get wherever I'm going quicker. I wouldn't do 50 mph on the motorway as that's far too slow but obviously B roads and dual carriage ways might be okay.