Coilover help... newbie needs educating

gazzard27

hi all,

new to the forum, and as expected new to modifying cars really, i have dabbled but not a trained mechanic or anything.

one question... im looking at BC coilovers for my girl (my z...shes female..dont judge) :p

and i was wondering what this means "10/8Kg/mm Nissan 350Z" they have this on their website... im guessing its something to do with the weight of the car???

there are a couple of options and i was wondering which was the right one?

any help appreciated

thanks

10/8 is fine as an all rounder. But if you want OEM comfort and just the ability to lower the car with no track work in mind then you may consider an 8/6 or just get lowering springs.

Better still find a member near you with BC or similar spec coilover and go for a ride to be sure that's what you are looking for.

Edited by GT4 Zed

thanks for the replies guys,

im looking for better handling and also the ability to lower the Z, not too bothered about comfort as i had a scooby on BC coilovers which was as hard as a rock.

are BC a good coilover to have?

do i need to email them regarding the rears then?

BCs are very much at the budget end of the suspension range, however they are also incredibly good value. I run them on my track MR2, and I've tried them on a Zed. I'd be happy with a set, and I'm quite fussy about suspension things.

With regards to 'better handling', what do you mean by that? What do you actually want the car to do, and what do you expect to change with a change of dampers & springs? Not being picky, I'm just wondering if there's other ways to get the car to handle like you want without spending a grand on suspension. :)

• 6 months later...
the line '10/8Kg/mm' relates to the spring hardness - with a 10kg/mm spring, a load of 10kg will compress the spring 1mm.

so that kit will use 10kg/mm front springs, and 8kg/mm rear springs. couldn't tell you if that was the correct spring rate for a zed though!

Just to add one point, on coilover you have the lower collar on the thread damper body. Therefore you can pre-load the spring. The more pre-load you set by compressing the spring that means it takes more mass to compress it further.

So a 10kg/mm spring with 2kg prelaod, that means it will take 12kg to compress 1mm. :)

我從使用 Tapatalk çš„ Nexus 6 發é€