oil consumption

kevgreen16

sounds excessive to me but then your engine will use more while it's bedding in. How many miles have you done so far. It has been noted by GT4 owners that the engine is a bit thursty on oil. Perhaps the reason for the 310bhp engine to come out shortly after yours

Indeed - the 300bhp engine has been noted by quite a few to use quite a bit of oil.

Mine is not too bad (perhaps 0.25l in 2000 miles). But there are others that have used just as much as yourself and in some circumstanes a lot more.

You can ask your dealer to perform a level check on it and monitor the consumption, this can then be raised with Nissan as a warranty issue - I beleive there is at least one owner in the US that has had a replacement engine because of this issue.

It would appear that it may be being swept under the carpet here, and the release of the 310bhp engine in a relatively short space of time after the 300bhp engine may well be due to the correcting of this "feature" (and or others).

I would suggest you monitor it yourself for a while and if it does not start to drop after the bedding in, you have your dealer monitor it for you and get the mater raised with Nissan.

Guest prescience
You can see my comments on the thread that Digsy posted, but essentially my car has used around 0.5 ltr per thousand miles since day one and it is currently on 14k with no indication of any change.

Totally unacceptable IMHO. Why aren't you banging the dealer's door down, they must know there are issues with some Rev-Up engines and oil - are they monitoring it for you or something?

[i apologise if I haven't seen a thread where you have said that you have been to the dealers every day for the last 6 months, dressed as spiderman and have been holding his children to ransom since August :lol: ]

thanks for the link digsy, very interesting reading, my car now done 9k , and its used 1ltr per k so far, i will show these comments to my dealer to raise the issue better but i dont suppose it will get me anywhere, as dealers dont seem to care, i got no help with my last problem on my old z, having said that it was dixon back then and its now been taken over, so maybe they be different, thanks all kev

ps what is a leak down test ?

You can see my comments on the thread that Digsy posted, but essentially my car has used around 0.5 ltr per thousand miles since day one and it is currently on 14k with no indication of any change.

Totally unacceptable IMHO. Why aren't you banging the dealer's door down, they must know there are issues with some Rev-Up engines and oil - are they monitoring it for you or something?

[i apologise if I haven't seen a thread where you have said that you have been to the dealers every day for the last 6 months, dressed as spiderman and have been holding his children to ransom since August :lol: ]

Haven't had much luck with the dealer to be honest Dorian. They are of the opinion that it is within acceptable limits that Nissan define as being up to 1 ltr of oil consumption per 1000 miles.

Haven't had much luck with the dealer to be honest Dorian. They are of the opinion that it is within acceptable limits that Nissan define as being up to 1 ltr of oil consumption per 1000 miles.

I would suggest trying a different dealer but the only other local dealer is Newport & they dont even know what a 350Z is :surrender:

Guest prescience

Well, why am I not surprised at their attitude. But step back for a moment, at that rate of use, it that means you would run completely out of oil TWICE between services :wacko: And if you went on a European trip, I reckon it would be quite possible to run up 2000-3000 miles and you'd be compromised on oil.

Besides, its probably getting bloody expensive to fill up with petrol AND oil, its not an RX8 for heavens sake :rant:

I know it may not be easy or practical, but get it to another dealer, one who is more enlightened (they do exist); what's better, a long trip to the dealer every 9k miles or a blown motor with all the legal ramifications of proving who's to blame?

Not sure what's changed between the original block and the newer versions, but mine uses no oil at all. (or at least it's incredidibly minimal)

I've never had reason to top up between services (12 months) and even on our last trip to the Ring, I ended up carting a litre of 5w40 out there and all the way back:)

I'd have it stricly montoried by the dealer. I think some engines have even been replaced, namely the Autocar (i think) Zed.

Well, why am I not surprised at their attitude. But step back for a moment, at that rate of use, it that means you would run completely out of oil TWICE between services :wacko: And if you went on a European trip, I reckon it would be quite possible to run up 2000-3000 miles and you'd be compromised on oil.

Besides, its probably getting bloody expensive to fill up with petrol AND oil, its not an RX8 for heavens sake :rant:

I know it may not be easy or practical, but get it to another dealer, one who is more enlightened (they do exist); what's better, a long trip to the dealer every 9k miles or a blown motor with all the legal ramifications of proving who's to blame?

Good advice. It's coming up for it's first P2 shortly so I'll have another go at them then and if they don't play ball this time, I shall try another dealer.

Don't know if you chaps realise it but all oil will 'boil off' to some degree, not exactly but its the easiest way to discribe it. Cheaper oils will be more volatile than the high spec ones. It would not be uncommon for a 10-15% + loss to occur! The way to find out what your oils volatility is will be to look at its spec sheet; Noack Volatility is what you are looking for and you need the lowest you can find in whatever your choices of oil are. If the brand concerned doesn't publish such figures then don't buy it! I know that Amsoils figures are generally 5-7 dependant upon the oil, (I also know that these are some of the lowest figures you will find) but check the figures for your oil, if they are 9-10+ (quite likely) you will loose 1/2 as much again never mind the burning of the oil!

The next general rule is that if you have a car that is burning more oil that you think is acceptable you can reduce this by stepping up one thickness of oil, (ie it becomes harder to get past the rings and valve guides) Try a 5w-40 perhaps. What you want to steer clear of is a 0w-40 as this is often a weak oil that literally gets its viscosity improvers chopped up by the piston rings and so becomes thin and therefore burns.

Hope all this makes sense, try a low volitility oil for starters, as theres a lot more to good oil than most people think.

Sounds obvious, but do you/they have that in writing from NMGB? Very easy way to get them to back off. They normally run scared when you want it in writing as then they cant deny it :thumbs:

Sounds obvious, but do you/they have that in writing from NMGB? Very easy way to get them to back off. They normally run scared when you want it in writing as then they cant deny it :thumbs:

Good call. I haven't seen it in writing so shall request that on my next visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the car in yesterday and guess what, they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Anyway, when they weren't able to answer my question as to where has all the oil gone then, they contacted Nissan GB.

The current situation is they have topped the oil up to the max mark and I have to cover a 1000 miles, go back in and they are going to dip the oil and report back to Nissan as to how much it's used. I will let you know what happens when I go back.

Took the car in yesterday and guess what, they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Anyway, when they weren't able to answer my question as to where has all the oil gone then, they contacted Nissan GB.

The current situation is they have topped the oil up to the max mark and I have to cover a 1000 miles, go back in and they are going to dip the oil and report back to Nissan as to how much it's used. I will let you know what happens when I go back.

Interesting. Keep us posted on this. :thumbs: