Good German Driving Roads

LloydZee

Hi all. Me and 3 other cars are going on a road trip to Germany in March. We are stopping in Cologne and Stuttgart for 2 nights each. I know the Route 500 is near Stuttgart, so will be heading for that at some point. Does anyone know of any good driving roads between Dunkirk - Cologne or Cologne - Stuttgart. Obviously the Nurburgring is there but we're not interested in hitting that at the moment. Thanks guys. I look forward to the replies.

Thanks :) Looking forward to being reunited with the Autobahn!! I don't really want to do the nurburgring as I don't want to get track insurance etc and generally I've always said I won't track the 350z like I did the Focus ST beforehand.

Thanks :) Looking forward to being reunited with the Autobahn!! I don't really want to do the nurburgring as I don't want to get track insurance etc and generally I've always said I won't track the 350z like I did the Focus ST beforehand.

Hire one of their Suzuki Swifts.. Great fun, and its fully insured :thumbs:

Yeah I saw that, £5000 isn't it?! I won't be doing that, would put a very bad taste on a good road trip away haha

I'm sure you can cover all the excess damage for an increased insurance premium,

cannot remember of the top of my head.

You could also hire a full race GT3, for "stupid amount's" of money, not sure if you can still do that either. :scare:

I don't really want to do the nurburgring as I don't want to get track insurance etc

Your struggle to get any UK insurance company to insure on the 'ring, i tried a few brokers in the summer and none wanted anyhting to do with the 'ring. Apparently German law says ALL German insurance companies have to cover the 'ring because it's a toll road, not sure if thats ture, but could explain why the locals go nuts on it because they are covered by default.

Try http://www.ultimatedrives.net for route ideas. I used their routes as a guide for the European road trip I did last summer...

If you've been on the autobahn before than your know what its like. Personally I didnt enjoy driving in German, not even when doing 140mph legally. The sceneary was mostly as pretty as Brimingham, lots of road works/traffic, and on derestricted bits people just go nuts....I cannot see how they dont have some massive accidents, the speed differential between the outside lane and inside lane is sometimes 100mph+. I did notice though people do have much better lane displane, and most shift off the left lane pretty sharpish when they spot something quicker behind them :)

Anyways, maybe its just we were spolit by driving Switzerland first...Cannot wait to go back there this summer :D

Edited by gangzoom

Hi,

for ur 2 days at Cologne i can recommend u

"Bergisches Land"

bergisches%20Land.jpg

"Sauerland"

sauerland.gif

"Eifel"

wmeikart.jpg

Every region has a lot of beautiful roads and is very popular to motobikers,..... for ur trip from cologne to stuttgart i will try to post a chart