Please help me with my little nuts !

RobPhoboS

:lol:

Ok on the standard shocks, I just needed to tighten up the passenger side 12mm top mount nuts (slight rattle from the passenger side).

The driver side is torqued up properly, and one of the 3 is on the passenger side BUT the other two aren't tightening up at all. :wacko:

I can't work out what is happening, I briefly tried to undo them as well but they just seem to be spinning in one spot.

I'll try with the impact wrench to get them off when the new suspension arrives but for now, any thoughts how to undo them ?

Possibly but the thing is I did them by hand and was paying attention to what I was doing, they aren't at an odd angle either.

But maybe the thread is just knackered inside the nut in that case. I've seen there are tools/bits to extract them without resorting to cutting if that's the case.

Just use a nut splitter to split the nut.

If the threads on the top mount are good then all you will have to do is replace the nuts,

If the threads on the studs of the top mount are goost then you will have to replace the top mount, however that is no drama as I have plenty pre owned in stock. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

(doing this from my phone so couldn't circle them)

So the 2 nuts which aren't coming off have a little bit of black marking on them, just so I could see if the bolt was turning as well (just the nuts moving).

So I've not got a clue how to get them off, not enough space for the nut splitters I bought, nor can I get a dremel in there.

I'll see if a local garage can help me in the morning but just thought I'd ask for any suggestions.

I thought perhaps heat, as I have a heatshield I could use to help protect the wires but otherwise I'm stumped.

Extremely frustrated but need to move on and work it out.

IMAG0487_zpsjrytqvxr.jpg

IMAG0486_zpsg2rcgjad.jpg

IMAG0485_zpsfcfyzya1.jpg

Rob, if you can't get access with a small angle grinder, dremel or nut splitter then you will just have to use a good sharp cold chisel.

In the past I have managed with a small nut splitter but you will have to make room by moving the looms slightly to the side.

You could also try jacking the car up so that the suspension is hanging which will put a bit of load on the nut which may just be enough to rattle the nut off with an impact gun.

Edited by ZMANALEX

The jacking up unfortunately didn't work out, but I did chisel, hack and dremel out the one on the right! Revealing a pretty knackered not and obliterated nut.

Now I'm trying to get the other one on the left out.

The nut splitter fits but due to the flange on the nut it doesn't split it properly.

Ukmail have screwed up big time, so I urgently need to get the top mount from someone today or tomorrow morning.