Help Needed 350z Won't Turn Over

Phill_92

Hi Everyone,

Went to start my car this morning and I couldn't get it to turn over. I have had this a few times before, its been an intermittent fault which has developed to a permanent problem (53 plate).

I did search the forum for this issue but other peoples issues were slightly different and were solved by the ecu reset!

When it was intermittent i just assumed it was the clutch safety switch as in the past when it didn't start I would pump the clutch a few times then it would be fine however not this morning.

I have no reason to believe the car has any mechanical issues. It has been running flawlessly for the 5 months I've owned it. Everything lights up as usual on ignition but there is no turn over. Believing it was the clutch switch I stuck my head in there this morning and depressed the plunger with the ignition on and I could hear the relay clicking.

So now i'm not so sure the switch is the problem. I have just reset the ecu (peddle method) with no luck so i'm starting to run out of ideas (I didn't have many to start with). I will try the key code reset procedure but i'm not convinced this is the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas? It sounds like an immobiliser problem to me but I thought the ecu reset would have solved that.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Phill.

What Alex said - then you need to check you are getting power to the starter on both the main power and "ignition" side - if you are then it's a dodgy starter motor - if your not then you need to start checking fuses and relays but 1 step at a time ;)

It's literally nothing Sam.

All lights are on with ignition as usual and the relay clicks when the clutch is depressed but other than that the car doesn't even try to turn. Battery is fine and the car was driving perfect 6 hours before!

Relay main contacts may be duff even though its clicking

Identify the relay that's clicking when you operate the clutch pedal.

Familiarise yourself with how the relay is wired up, then short out the main contacts.

If you dont understand how to do this, then fit a new relay and try it.

• 1 month later...

Alright I was a bit stupid and lazy with this and its bit me in the ass.

The car sorted itself and ran flawlessly spoke to a couple of people and they said they couldn't diagnose it until it was broken again. SO i used that as an excuse and didn't do anything on the car. I got my confidence back in the car bought a load of goodies and have been driving it frequently.

The car has been parked at my boss' house the past few days (about a half hour drive from me) I was about to pick it up today and sure enough it happened again. So now im in the same position but with the car a little while away, my fault I know!

I did call a friend up who is a good mechanic but is constantly busy and he offered what help he could over the phone with the information i could give him. He said he thinks it could be a sticky solenoid on the starter based on the fact when i put the ignition on then press the clutch I can see from the battery gauge in the car that there is a power drain. Also it could be a starter relay.

If it was a sticky solenoid would there be any more symptoms?

If its a relay I suppose i could nip to Nissan in the morning and hopefully get one and install it on the street and fingers crossed?!

Right i've solved this the issue is the starter motor itself, the loud clicking was the solenoid but the motor itself is knackered!

Anyone know where i can get a reasonably priced one, new ones seem to go for £160 and i cant seem to see any reconditioned ones online.

Thanks,

:pmzmanalex: he sorted me out with a good pre-owned one when I killed mine :thumbs:

Nice one Chris: :thumbs:

Pre owned fully working genuine Nissan starter motors are in stock and good to go same/next day.

Just drop me a PM if I can help further.

Alex. :)