Brake Question

Kaveney

Good Morning

I have put in new breaks few weeks ago ( new disc andDS2500pds all round super blue fluid and S/S brake lines ) but last night the car under strong breaking did pull to the left a few times .

When the brakes were done all the caliper pistons were moving free and well so I don't think anything is sticking .

It might just be me as it was 1 deg and the road was Greece not wet .

The one thing im thinking is the front left is a Continental £ 150 and the front right is a Kumho normal £ 80.00 and the car is pulling to the left the Continental side .

Would this be because of the road conditions and miss match tyres or do I need to look at other causes .

Thanks

Alan

most definitely mismatched tyres! don't run different tyres on the same axle you crazy person! Only a fool would do that!

(I jest, since we're running mismatched tyres all round on our track car, and its hilarious - completely different grip levels whether you're turning left or right, and every time we brake the car twitches and shimmys depending on which tyre is gripping the most at any given time. seriously, running mismatched tyres is a terrible idea.)

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps .

Thought it may be this as in the dry it is not as bad .

Just to understand in my tiny brain there is the same braking force on the front but the front left is gripping more ( better tyre ) and causing a pull to this side ?

The car has Kumho KU39 ( not the sport tyre ) on all corners bar the front left .

Regards

Alan

Edited by Kaveney

that's pretty much correct - although I suspect its more a case of the front right reaches the limits of its grip sooner than the better front left, so the car can brake harder on one side, which causes the car to rotate.

I wouldn't consider Kumho KU39s as being a bad tyre per say, just not as good as a continental. if the rest of the kumhos are serviceable, and the front right still has a reasonable amount of tread, i'd replace the continental with a kumho. if you replace the kumho with a continental (so 2 conti's on the front, 2 kumhos on the rear), it will encourage oversteer. ideally you want a consistent level of grip all around, for stable predictable handling.

Made the mistake the first time it came to changing tyres of having FK452's on one axle and the new FK453's on the other...even that felt like one took its time to catch grip to the other axle... Ekonas advice noted...ordered another set of 453's lol All 4, all same...all round :thumbs:

Edited by AMT
  • Like 1