This years road trip - planning has started

SteveM

Having said that, apart from the first day that is some nicely balanced daily mileage i.e. <250mpd. 350m+ starts becoming a real chore...

I thnk the time of year you go makes a big difference too. 2nd week of June is great but we're having to go 3rd week of may this year which is a bit risky WRT mountain passes being open. Also very difficult to traverse if you're battling against a billion gallons of melt-water too!

first day is always a drag..... long boring motorway miles to get as far down as you can then as you say try to limit the daily milage so as to still enjoy it. we have pretty much worked out what we can do in a day on the mountain roads and also know roughly what sort of time we will want to be looking to stop and not booking hotels gives you a lot of flexibility.

also there are a few areas in that trip that if we are getting tired we COULD skip onto some bigger roads and jump ahead a bit to buy us a down day but we will see how we get on.

first night hotel is booked (i like to at least know after that long drag i have a hotel for the first night) although we have already started changing things as we are booked into a hotel in Bad Kreuznach which is just down the road from Heidelberg on the basis that we have already been there and wanted to see somewhere new. ;)

we know that a lot of people can think of nothing worse than spending that amount of time in the car and have had friends say but when do you stop and get a holiday but to us we love it and being in the car on those roads in that scenery IS the holiday

Edited by SteveM
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

well despite being told that we wouldn't and or couldn't do it in the time we had allowed are back from our epic tour of Europe!

10 countries, 4042 miles, 2 weeks and some of the most amazing roads and places.... loads of pics but for now just the one teaser....

picnic at 2400m

furka_zpsiejx0qsl.jpg

• Like 4

Congratulations, that is one serious roadtrip. I couldnt hack doing so many miles each day, would need a fortnight to recover.

I am envious though, of being able to photograph all that beautiful scenery you have travelled through.

Cant wait to see some epic photos, well done! :thumbs:

• Like 1

Will, we ventured into the Dolomites a bit more this year.. VERY much worth it! some amazing roads. the coast of Croatia was ok in places but the towns made up for the sometimes busy roads. Rovinj, Split and Dubrovnic are amazing places to visit.

will sort out more details and pics in the next few days.....

if there is one the one downside of a trip like that is that you don't have the time to really do places like Pompei justice so we decided to skip Rome and Pompei on the basis that we will fly back and actually spend sometime doing them properly

as for costs..... not looked a it yet and if I am honest we probably wont work out how much it cost... as a rough guide we did 4042 miles and averaged over the hole trip 26 miles per gallon (bear in mind fuel in Europe is slightly cheaper and very much cheaper in Croatia and Luxembourg) hotels roughly work out at £100 per night for 2 including breakfast (and lunch as we make a packed lunch from the breakfast stuff, meats, cheese and rolls) and including parking. some night are cheaper and some more expensive but allow £100 a night and you wont go far wrong then its just evening meals and drink so its up to you how much you spend.

I have cooked a set of pads in the mountains so I guess you need to add that to the costs

as for my back... all good! no aches at all.... it does seem a long time behind the wheel but with coffee, pee, petrol, photograph, lunch and other stops you are in and out of the car a lot.

still got to go through the pictures (all 1200 of them!)

Edited by SteveM
  • Like 1

nope.... we ended up coming back via Germany (route 500.. again)and Luxembourg (cheap fill up) then stopping in Ypres for lunch...the B&B in Troyes has been logged for future reference though

that said we are thinking of the Pyrenees next year.....