Convertible top not working fully

J4CKO

When doing my stereo I thought it would be good to put the top down to allow some more light in, car had other ideas, it got to the point of nearly being folder before the lid comes down and stopped.

I had heard that 350Z tops can be a bit recalcitrant when cold,it has never given me an issue before so am hoping it is just the temperature, I read that it is 60F(16C) and I am not sure what the temp was but it wasnt 16c ! about 7 I think but I would have thought it would still work, part of the joy of a convertible with heated seats and a decent heater is goign out on cold crisp days.

I was thinking it may be time to lubricate some of the mechanism as I doubt its been done, what should I use or is it best to leave it alone ?

Anyone else had this problem and will it go away when the temp rises or do I have a big bill looming ?

covered loads of times and doubt that the majority on here with roadsters really do have a full working issue free roofs. The lube you "must use" is the one from Nissan. I say this because thats what it sais on the service bulletin of the roof. Ive used white light grease and silicone based lubes. If the roof is stuck get someone to hold down the open button and when the roof is in the up position, press the microswitch in on the passenger side at the base of the central bow. That should do it.

i dont even bother to think about opening the roof unless its either above 10 degrees or its been parked in teh sun to warm the roof

trying at cold temps can cause damage so best not to... if you want that roof down on a cold crisp day feeling then park up in the sun for half an hour and have the heaters on full blast for a while to soften the fabric

• Like 2

The rear of mine doesn't close down in cold weather. I now never open it in the cold for this reason.

I opened the roof a few weeks back for a fully paint correction in the garage. The roof then wouldn't close so had to leave a heater on for it to warm up and close properly.

The problem with spray greases is that they are temperature sensitive and don't lubricate too well at low temperatures.

A silicone spray type lubricant is preferable as it is more fluid and flows more easily into the more intricate parts of the Zed roof mechanism.

I have used this http://www.bilthamber.com/lubrication/ferrosol and whilst expensive, really does the job!

• Like 1

The problem with spray greases is that they are temperature sensitive and don't lubricate too well at low temperatures.

A silicone spray type lubricant is preferable as it is more fluid and flows more easily into the more intricate parts of the Zed roof mechanism.

I have used this http://www.bilthambe...cation/ferrosol and whilst expensive, really does the job!

Thanks Ridz, I'll get some. :thumbs:

Just to add. I have done a lot of research on why the roofs are such a pain in the ass. Firstly the material likes to be slightly warm. There is also an issue with the elastic straps between the second and third bar. Theses become weak over time and need replacing. When weak they don't fold the material in the correct fashion, meaning the won't fully close. I had this problem. Had the elestics replaced with genuine Nissan ones and a service and it works perfectly now. Also look to see if you have any damage to the bar above your head? The piece that holds the material on can become bent. Another sign of the elastics issue.

• Like 2