Handbrake light under heavy throttle

JoshC

Since owning my 60 GT auto I've not yet had a proper oppurtuity to take it for a nice drive and really open it up but I have noticed on a few occasions if I do give it some welly that the red handbrake warning light flashes up briefly while doing so, kind of like you might expect the traction control light to do so in the wet or something.

Is this normal? It's going back to BMW to have a couple of other things fixed end of the month so is this something I need to mention to them as well?

Without trawling back through your posts - why back to BMW?

As GIXXERUK says check your brake fluid level - make sure it is up the max - 350's are certainly very prone to the symptom you describe and no doubt 370's will have the same issue as we hear more about more low brake pad wear and the fluid level in turn reduces in the reservoir.

Check the brake fluid level and/or how much meat is left on the pads :thumbs:

Cheers mate, now that you mention that I did have that issue with my 350 but the light was on constant that time! Still worth checking I guess :thumbs:

Without trawling back through your posts - why back to BMW?

As GIXXERUK says check your brake fluid level - make sure it is up the max - 350's are certainly very prone to the symptom you describe and no doubt 370's will have the same issue as we hear more about more low brake pad wear and the fluid level in turn reduces in the reservoir.

Sorry, should have explained :lol: I got the car from my local BMW dealer after giving up on finding a 370 even within 150 miles of me so was settling for a Z4 then they called me 3 days later to say they had in the exact 370 i wanted as part exchnage :teeth: Anyway, got a 6 month warranty from them and it's booked in already to have the parking sensors and washer fluid sensor fixed :)

Will check brake fluid and pads in that case, cheers mate :)

Edited by JoshC

If the brake fluid is low, this will be a good sign that the pads are worn, if you top it up you will then have to remove some fluid when it comes to a pad change otherwise it will overflow & eat away at any painted parts of the car it comes in contact with unless rinsed off immediately.

Just to note brake pads will not be covered in your warranty

If the brake fluid is low, this will be a good sign that the pads are worn, if you top it up you will then have to remove some fluid when it comes to a pad change otherwise it will overflow & eat away at any painted parts of the car it comes in contact with unless rinsed off immediately.

Just to note brake pads will not be covered in your warranty

Cheers for the heads up mate! Everytime I go out to the car I keep forgetting to check the level but will do so lunch time!

• 3 years later...