Meguiars NXT Wax First Hands On

Removed

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just on the subject of cleaning and OCD, i thought i publish my cleaning routine, though this is the quicker of the two, as it dose not cover my show and once a year clean. With things like cleaing the wheel arches with peanut butter, applying shoe polish and white mix's and removing bumpers and wheels, etc to get right to the dirt.

Rinse the Car with hose with nossel, under wheel arches, and sills, etc.

Warm Water in Bucket and Toothbrush, cotton wall buds and soft cloth, run toothbrush along all seems with rubber, door handles, badges, lettering, etc, etc. Cotton bud and cloth for really hard to reach spots.

Rinse Car (no nossle, all rinsing by flooding with slow running water now)

Starting with the top of the car wash with soapy sponge, rinse. Towel or shamey straight away. Rinse the sponge regularly, this help prevent swirls caused by dirt, etc (Bug sponge for front of car, something like AutoGlym bug/tar remover or lemon juice for real sticky spots)

Clay bar panels.

Then wash each panel in turn across the car, leaving any panels in direct sunlight until last. I use a different sponge and shamey for the bottom of the panels and wheel arches to the rest of the car, avoid spreading grit.

Go around the car and make sure all the water is removed from joins with lights, bumpers, etc

I recommend cleansing the paintwork every now and again, I swear by Zymol's HD Cleanser. This stuff removes marks and allows the wax to bond better.

Apply wax working from the top down, 2ft x 2ft areas, follow the body work when applying, not in circles. Follow the wax instructions, some waxes are a pain to remove from the plastics, so avoid where possible, but Zymols pretty good.

Polish the wax to a shine, re-apply to the front bumper, bonnet, wings, mirrors and A frame to help with removal of fly's in future

Apply glass cleaner

Apply rubber treat, back to black, etc to rubbers and plastic, avoid silicon getting onto waxed areas, causes smears. I use thin card and push into joins when applying spray based products. Or spray onto cloth and apply.

Using a separate bucket and sponge/brush etc to the rest of the car, rinse the wheels, apply cleaner (low or no acid based products are best, Meguirs cleaner is good)

Clean and rinse wheels, brush out nut recesses/air inlet , dry and apply wheel protector or wax

Apply tyre dressing if preferred, though a good scrub with a brush and rinse brings them up, shoe polish is good too.

Finally apply chrome/metal polish to exhaust(s)

Then for the inside :D , only kidding, but a good clean and wax like this should allow just a rinse a shamey for a few months. I try and avoid real leather shameys, if I do use them then a cod oiled shamey's is good. Some shameys remove the wax's you so painstakingly applied.

Andy (aka Mr Sheen ;) )

Whats a "clay bar" do??

Removes bonded contamanents from the paintwork

before-clay-bar.jpg

By applying a lubricant and then pushing a clay across the surface it pulls the particles out of the paint and clear coat, leaves the paint feeling smoother than glass, especially if done a couple of time and followed by a cleanse. Then allows the wax to bond better and leaves a deeper shine because you've removed all the particles that dull the paint.

after-clay-bar.jpg

By the way, I've approached someone online to see if they want to provide us with a discount for cleaning products.....

Will let you know once I get a response etc?

Mark

Hey Mark

I'm looking to get a bulk shipment of some products in soon, so happy to list on here if it helps :)

Andy

Hey Mark

I'm looking to get a bulk shipment of some products in soon, so happy to list on here if it helps :)

Andy

Hi Andy, yeah I've just approached someone to see if they will give us discount to members of the forum for long term etc....

I'm sure between us that we must spend a fortune on products etc, so that its in someone's interest (hopefully) to want our business etc.....

If you have somewhere that you use regularly, then feel free to PM me if you want and I'll compare with the place that I found......

If you get discounted products somewhere and feel ok with sharing it then feel free to post otherwise PM me etc.... :)

Just because I'm going through Meguiar's stuff pretty quickly, so a deal with someone would help me, as would us all! :thumbs:

Thanks hope4sun , will have to look at getting a clay bar then.... never heard of em before :blush: is it something fairly new?

Its been around for a while really, mainly been a detialiers secret in the USA a few years back, but i've been using them since 2000 at least, now most compaines selling them, meguiars clay bar and quick detailer is one of the best priced for under £15.

Clean your car and then use it, your be shocked at the amount of dirt left on it, i'd recomend breaking just a small section off the bar (thumb sized), rather than using the whole thing, that way you can reduce the contamination to the bar and start with a nice new peace for every other panel, etc :)

Andy

One thing you want to buy when cleaning a car is a clay bar.

You really wont believe the diffference in your paint the look and feel of it.

Basically as said spray the detailer over a panel and rub the bar of clay of the panels, keep needing it so stays reasonably clean and keep surface moist. when done each panel dry off and repeat if paint still feels a little rough.

After rub the back of your hand along the paint and feel how smooth "like glass"

rub ya hand on paint before then after.

Brilliant stuff

Thanks hope4sun , will have to look at getting a clay bar then.... never heard of em before :blush: is it something fairly new?

Its been around for a while really, mainly been a detialiers secret in the USA a few years back, but i've been using them since 2000 at least, now most compaines selling them, meguiars clay bar and quick detailer is one of the best priced for under £15.

Clean your car and then use it, your be shocked at the amount of dirt left on it, i'd recomend breaking just a small section off the bar (thumb sized), rather than using the whole thing, that way you can reduce the contamination to the bar and start with a nice new peace for every other panel, etc :)

Andy

Andy,

So does the product "Meguiar's quik clay detailing system" come with the bar and the detailer spray then?

reading your post above, you wash.... then clay bar, then polish/wax??

Jacko you get the detailer spray and clay in a pack.

Clay the car every 3 months

I good cleaning practice would be

Every 3 months

wash

clay bar

paint cleanser

polish

wax

Every month

wash

paint cleanser

polish

wax

Weekly

wash

wax

Thats if you dont want spend hours and hours weekly.

Never use a sponge or shammy they just ruin paint.

Use 2 buckets 1 with wash solution other with clean water to rinse any dirt before you put wash mitt back in wash solution

Andy,

So does the product "Meguiar's quik clay detailing system" come with the bar and the detailer spray then?

reading your post above, you wash.... then clay bar, then polish/wax??

Yes mate, all you need in the box and you can even get it in Hafrauds, yep just wash/shamey/clay bar/polish & wax. Though i tend to wash after baring again, depeding on how happy i am with the finish and time depending. But you don't need too B)

Oh and its hard work as Dave said , but worth it, i find it quite relaxing B) , you don't need to clay all the time either, once you have a good coat of wax on, it wil protect for a while.

Andy ;)

i can do a write up if anyone is interested with do's and dont's and maybe make it a sticky?

Yeah sure mate, why not....... we may have something that one of the other guys has linked before..... but can't hurt....

PS. I've just ordered some, along with some polish and paint cleanser so will see how I get on..... :thumbs:

Andy

cool :thumbs: love trying something different.. on to Ebay now!