anyone running straight pipes?

dougie350

hi guys! just put my z on coilovers and its pretty low now, nothing really scrapes apart from one bit of the exhaust ( just before the back box) it kinks down for some reason, im going to get a custom made jobby, which will be essentially straight pipes from the y pipe back, this should give me enough clearance too, just wondering if anyone else has had custom exhausts made for low z's? many thanks. doug

Before i got my cat-back a couple of months ago, i phoned up my local custom exhaust fabricator (not a powerflow!)

they had worked on a Zed before, and they were quite honest and said that for the labour involved it would be cheaper and easier for me to buy one off the interweb and for them to fit it.

Although i can only assume they were expecting to have to do something fancy with a new backbox, or must have had grief last time.

That being said, the aftermarket backbacks have a smaller box than the OEM, i *assume* it has a larger ground clearance too, but i havent actually measured.

can you take a picture of where its scraping, your exhaust hasnt been fitted under (i.e, from a top down view) your anti roll bar has it ?

yeh, i had the same. i had a resonator delete done when i bought the car last year, they said about fitting a full custom system and said it would be around 5-600! but that would include backboxes, silencers and new y pipe and im pretty sure a decat too! i litterally just want as straight a pipe as possible from the Y and no backbox, just my oem tips attached, so hopefully shouldnt be too expensive! (theoretically)

I thought about straight piping my zed, do it and post a video, go the whole hog and de-cat too :thumbs:

haha yeh i thought about it! it will be biblical though... watch this https://www.youtube....h?v=xxdwQjSdf0o

Only imo, ...but that sounds dreadful. :scare: Far too raspy. :thumbdown:

If you want something loud that sounds great you want a Motordyne system with Art pipes. B)

Have a listen & tell me what you think:

:thumbs:

this is taken from the back of the car, if you can make out the rusty part of the exhaust (lowest bit) thats the part that is kinda kinked and scrapes along the floor, it may not look like it would make much difference but in person its alot more obvious, it will also eliminate having a back box as it will be just pipes with my tips attached!

post-23196-0-53331000-1421086717_thumb.jpg

I thought about straight piping my zed, do it and post a video, go the whole hog and de-cat too :thumbs:

haha yeh i thought about it! it will be biblical though... watch this https://www.youtube....h?v=xxdwQjSdf0o

If you want something loud that sounds great you want a Motordyne system with Art pipes. B)

That sound's awesome too i must admit. This is how mine's sound's now:
  • Like 2

YES..... that was lovley! the price though :surrender: i dont think id go decat with straight through pipes though like in the video, i like way over the top loud exhausts but i dont think i could put up with it like that! i would leave my cats in which i think would lower the noise and rasp a bit....mabee.

That sound's pretty badass tbh, love how loud it is, maybe a little less rasp though.

yeh its pretty wild! yours sounds sick though :thumbs:

That sound's awesome too i must admit. This is how mine's sound's now:

Sounds great. B)

I'm really impressed with the Ark systems sound but more so the quality & looks from what I've seen of them.

YES..... that was lovley! the price though :surrender: i dont think id go decat with straight through pipes though like in the video, i like way over the top loud exhausts but i dont think i could put up with it like that! i would leave my cats in which i think would lower the noise and rasp a bit....mabee.

Not cheap I know but good things never are. :lol:;)

Maybe leaving the standard Cats on or just adding some HFC's would help keep the rasp/noise down. If it was too loud or raspy then I personally wouldn't want to have to live with either on a daily basis especially if you've some long motorway trips to do. :dry:

let me stop you there, it will be the loudest thing you ever heard on the road

i ran straight through to a single can backbox, and that was loud, maybe loud isnt the word, but put it this way, my ears would be ringing when i got to work

everytime you driver past a copper they WILL pull you, and even if they cant prove you dont have cats, they are just gonna look for things on your car to do you for

i ran with no front plate for a long time, around 6 months, police didnt care, never got pulled, then with loud exhaust got pulled and bang, a fine for front plate, and handed a VDRS for so many minor things

vids on youtube dont capture just how loud it is decibel wise

this is mine with aforementioned set-up

http://vid914.photobucket.com/albums/ac349/desey3/MOV_00931_zps4e7f9562.mp4

and again, its much louder in person

obviously everyone has their own opinion, and that is mine, just please dont make the same mistake i did :blush:

• Like 3

http://vid914.photob...zps4e7f9562.mp4

obviously everyone has their own opinion, and that is mine, just please dont make the same mistake i did :blush:

So loud it f**ked the camera's auto focus up. :scare::surrender::lol:

I couldn't live with that daily or maybe I could once I'd gone deaf. :D

let me stop you there, it will be the loudest thing you ever heard on the road

i ran straight through to a single can backbox, and that was loud, maybe loud isnt the word, but put it this way, my ears would be ringing when i got to work

everytime you driver past a copper they WILL pull you, and even if they cant prove you dont have cats, they are just gonna look for things on your car to do you for

i ran with no front plate for a long time, around 6 months, police didnt care, never got pulled, then with loud exhaust got pulled and bang, a fine for front plate, and handed a VDRS for so many minor things

vids on youtube dont capture just how loud it is decibel wise

http://vid914.photob...zps4e7f9562.mp4

haha thanks for that! it is loud but hell it sounds good! i think its just one of those things im gunna have to find out for myself, i appreciate everyones input, luckily my z isnt my daily otherwise i wouldnt even be bother putting the suggestion out there aha! was it decat'd as well?