Ashtray rattling-Opinions needed please.

richard.hezlett

Hi everyone. I have a very rattly ashtray. It rattles when it is closed and when you try to open it, the ashtray wants to come out of the centre console. I want to get it fixed but am not sure what bit/s I need. From reading previous similar issues the main problem seems to be the ashtray itself. Upon inspection I can't see a lot wrong with my ashtray so I took a few photos to get other opinions. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Below is a photo of the centre console. On close inspection there is a small plastic tab that is about to break at the top of hole but I can't see that this does a lot.

P1000513_zps9c9297bb.jpg

Below are photos of the ashtray itself.There is only springy metal on one side of it?

P1000514_zps135f8a3f.jpg

P1000515_zps76f19448.jpg

Here is a photo of the bit the ashtray sits in

P1000519_zpse9d3956f.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I was thinking of getting some foam and trying that. Problem then is letting the lid open. Would have thought someone else has had the same problem. Can only be the ashtray itself of the bit it sits in. Just wanted to get the correct part/s without guessing. The ashtray can be literally lifted straight out so something broken.

Thanks. Would I be right in saying that from your photo the spring clip should be straight? Mine has a 90 degree turn half way up it.

The picture was just one I grabbed off google to try to illustrate the spring clip part. I don't think it's the same ashtray as in our Zeds. ;)

Just bend it out slowly so that you don't break it where it's fixed on.

Do it just a little at a time, trial fitting it each time to see if it's stopped moving so much is my advice. :thumbs:

Thanks. Would I be right in saying that from your photo the spring clip should be straight? Mine has a 90 degree turn half way up it.

The picture was just one I grabbed off google to try to illustrate the spring clip part. I don't think it's the same ashtray as in our Zeds. ;)

Do it just a little at a time, trial fitting it each time to see if it's stopped moving so much is my advice. :thumbs:

Thanks again for your advice.

Bent metal clip out a bit more so the ashtray "clicks" when pushed into position.

Seems fine now.

• Like 1

Thanks again for your advice.

Bent metal clip out a bit more so the ashtray "clicks" when pushed into position.

Seems fine now.

Good news then Rich. :D

Can get annoying sometimes all the rattling cars make so at least that's one less thing that rattles. :lol:;)